Phosphate/Phosphorus too low, How do I increase it

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I need a little advice on how to increase my levels of Phosphate/Phosphorus.
I just recently received my water parameter test results from Triton. My Phosphate/Phosphorus results are way too low. A little background on my system that may help. I have a 180 gallon reef system consisting of Live Rock and about 95% SPS and 5% LPS with only 5 fish. I use Purigen as a Phosphate/Phosphorus remover. Triton recommends that I either discontinue my Phosphate Remover or add more fish to increase my levels of Phosphate/Phosphorus. Would you agree?
Thank you

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Element - P Analysis / 0.00 Set Point / 6.00 Deviation / -6.00
Element - PO4 Analysis / 0.00 Set Point / 0.018 Deviation / -0.018

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only use the purigen once a month or such. Afaik purigen is mainly for nitrogenous substances, so it's probably not very good at phosphate, which means your phosphate is low in the first place.
If that's not an option then just feeding a piece of shrimp as an extra routine might be in order. (assuming you don't want to take any sand or rock out- which is probably the main source of the phosphate control)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish Triton did more to help people understand the difference between "0.00" and "< MDL". Sadly, the way they report low results tends to reinforce the idea that "0.00" is a valid analytical result that should be taken literally.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish Triton did more to help people understand the difference between "0.00" and "< MDL". Sadly, the way they report low results tends to reinforce the idea that "0.00" is a valid analytical result that should be taken literally.
So then in your honest opinion you don't feel I should take any drastic measures in attempting to raise my P/PO4 levels, other than maybe add fish or feed more?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried other meaty sources of food like clams or squid? You might be able to try some rods food as it has a good mix and is better quality than most frozen pre packaged foods

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. How do your corals look? How is your growth? How is your color?
Corals look healthy. I do have slight polyp extension during the day, but more significant at night. Growth is slow but noticeable. Although I have seen faster growth in other tanks. I recently switched from LED's and MH's to ATI T5's. I also started using KZ products and it appears to be making a difference with growth and color, but I have seen more colorful corals in other systems

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from LED's and MH's to ATI T5's
How long ago did you make the switch? It takes a while for everything to get adjusted.
Also, I don't see why you just don't reduce the amount of Purigen until you hit the levels your looking for. Try using half the amount at next change out and check your levels till you hit a nice equilibrium.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you make the switch? It takes a while for everything to get adjusted.
Also, I don't see why you just don't reduce the amount of Purigen until you hit the levels your looking for. Try using half the amount at next change out and check your levels till you hit a nice equilibrium.
The T5's went online in October 2015, the KZ products in the beginning of Jan. 2016. I'm currently using a regular size filter bag for the Purigen

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to Coral color again, I have a large Fiji Leather that is a bright vibrant Yellow. I have two Acros colonies that were the same, but are now more of a mellow yellow color

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to experiment with phosphate dosing and are concerned that foods might drive Dino's again, three products that should work well are Brightwell Neophos, Seachem Neutral Regulater, and Seachem Discus Buffer.

Or just buy food grade sodium phosphate online. :)

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to experiment with phosphate dosing and are concerned that foods might drive Dino's again, three products that should work well are Brightwell Neophos, Seachem Neutral Regulater, and Seachem Discus Buffer.

Or just buy food grade sodium phosphate online. :)
Do you think as a result of increasing my P/PO4 to a tolerable level that might help with my coral growth and color

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into the possibility of using the Brightwell Neophos, but according to the instructions I'm suppose to use MICROBACTER7 and REEF BIOFUEL or KATALYST as well? I was using MB7 to get rid of the Dino's, but stopped using once the Dino problem was resolved

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back