phosphate removal question

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a random thought that popped up after seeing my city's water quality report.

the report shows about 2mg/L (2ppm???) of both phosphates and silica. If I was to use this for a 10 gallon tank... how much phosguard and macros would be needed to bring this down to normal levels. Would it even be possible?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you're alluding to using your tap water? If not, then these two items are removed by using a Ro/Di unit to filter your water before placing it in your tank.

If you are planning to use tap water, then I suspect you could use a phosphate binder and silicon binder in the bucket of water before placing it in your tank. Logic tells me that you can fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water and place the appropriate amount of removal media in your tap water (based off of the instructions on the product) until it runs clean but that doesn't mean it's a sensible solution, or is it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just a random thought that popped up after seeing my city's water quality report.

the report shows about 2mg/L (2ppm???) of both phosphates and silica. If I was to use this for a 10 gallon tank... how much phosguard and macros would be needed to bring this down to normal levels. Would it even be possible?
Chemipure blue or elite will keep it in check

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back