Phosphate removal

punkroc701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so other then water changes and backing off on the feeding what is another way to reduce and/or remove phosphates? Should I use chemicals or a phosphate reactor?

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BRS media reactor with GFO. Helps keep my phosphates near zero.

OP
OP
P

punkroc701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so far a reactor seems to be the best bet. I also need to find some cheato. My LFS doesn't seel it and can't find anyone trimming theirs yet.

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of cheato if you are still looking for some. Drop me a PM if interested.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

To me the greatest phosphate sink in our tanks is various forms of algae.

my .02

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, macro's use up phosphate at a slower rate than I'd like. I added a phosphate reactor, currently using Phosban but plan on going to the BRS GFO once I use it up. You might have to change the GFO weekly once you set it up, as it will take awhile before your rock and sand leach out all that they have stored up. I had .25 po4 and it's taking my over a month to start getting all the stored po4 out from my rocks and sand. Currently I'm sitting at .17. I do weekly 10% w/c and change out my phosban every week to keep up with what the system is producing. Also a good skimmer is help as well.

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad green hair algea a year ago very bad...I was pulling patches off my rock. So I added a phosphate reactor with rowophos from tropic Marin and that stuff is amazing lasted a good 6 months before phosphate levels came back and it got rid of ALL my algea problem in 10 days. It was very fast. I will never run a tank without a phosphate reactor. I now use BRS GFO MEDIA it works just as good and last a couple months as well. I have not had a problem but if one does arise I will buy rowophos again. Worth every penny trust me.

Btw I started running a fuge back then also with macro algea and I saw no difference the reactor did much better. I have took out the fuge back 4 months ago and still going strong.... fuge to me was pointless for my tank. I do run a fuge on my small tank though. So I'm not saying there pointless but I am saying it did nothing for my big display.

Sent from my EVO.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back