Phosphate Removal

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, any recommendations on a phosphate remover that doesn’t have ANY history of killing fish or corals? Looks like my Hanna has been lying to me for a loonnnggg time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Hanna checker was 18ppb last time I tested but the ICP came back 291ppb! I was shocked!

Ignore both test kits for a minute and let me ask you this. How does the tank look to you? Are there any issues? If so, what are they?

Basic follow up questions. Have you run back to back tests using the Hanna checker? Are the reagents good and not expired? Have you used a reference solution?

ICP is a nice tool but too many hobbyists are using them as the defacto standard. Do you know their calibration frequency? Do you know if the systems are cleaned before, and after, every ICP test? Have you heard that some respected hobbyists have sent in multiple samples using water drawn at the same time to the same ICP vendor and got different results?

I'm sure you know this but figured I'd throw it out there. So how does your display look? My phosphate according to Hanna flashes 200 :) So I know it is high.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore both test kits for a minute and let me ask you this. How does the tank look to you? Are there any issues? If so, what are they?

Basic follow up questions. Have you run back to back tests using the Hanna checker? Are the reagents good and not expired? Have you used a reference solution?

ICP is a nice tool but too many hobbyists are using them as the defacto standard. Do you know their calibration frequency? Do you know if the systems are cleaned before, and after, every ICP test? Have you heard that some respected hobbyists have sent in multiple samples using water drawn at the same time to the same ICP vendor and got different results?

I'm sure you know this but figured I'd throw it out there. So how does your display look? My phosphate according to Hanna flashes 200 :) So I know it is high.
Actually I didn’t know that about the ICP test. To me my tank definitely looks like something wrong. I’ve never really had an hair algae problem before and now it’s all in my sand and rock work and looks to be getting worse. I’ve just read post about stuff like Phosphate-E killing things after people have used them. My corals and fish seem to be fine, the algae is just getting worse.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just so happen to have some Chemi-Pure Elite on hand. It’s only sized to treat 50 gallons so it should drop it a slower rate than the size I actually need for my tank. But how will I know when my levels are low if I can’t trust the Hanna?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just so happen to have some Chemi-Pure Elite on hand. It’s only sized to treat 50 gallons so it should drop it a slower rate than the size I actually need for my tank. But how will I know when my levels are low if I can’t trust the Hanna?
What are your other parameters? .2 ppm PO4 is high, but may not be as bad as you think, especially if you can't say for sure how long it's been at that level. I appreciate that your tank is showing you that things are out of whack, but getting a full picture of what's going on with your overall water quality/ nutrients will allow the experts here to better help you with a plan.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, any recommendations on a phosphate remover that doesn’t have ANY history of killing fish or corals? Looks like my Hanna has been lying to me for a loonnnggg time.
PO4 remover with no history of killing fish = macroalgae

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can you have phosphate of 18? I'm pretty sure the hanna checker doesnt go that high, even API phosphate test only goes up to 10. And ICP test says phosphate is 200? Thats not even realistic.

Something is very wrong with either the tests or the water, but no information at all provided about your tank, so cannot speculate further.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can you have phosphate of 18? I'm pretty sure the hanna checker doesnt go that high, even API phosphate test only goes up to 10. And ICP test says phosphate is 200? Thats not even realistic.

Something is very wrong with either the tests or the water, but no information at all provided about your tank, so cannot speculate further.
It’s the URL Phosphorus Hanna checker which reads in ppb instead of ppm. 18 I believe converts to .05 ppm and the 291 converts to .89 ppm

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters? .2 ppm PO4 is high, but may not be as bad as you think, especially if you can't say for sure how long it's been at that level. I appreciate that your tank is showing you that things are out of whack, but getting a full picture of what's going on with your overall water quality/ nutrients will allow the experts here to better help you with a plan

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters? .2 ppm PO4 is high, but may not be as bad as you think, especially if you can't say for sure how long it's been at that level. I appreciate that your tank is showing you that things are out of whack, but getting a full picture of what's going on with your overall water quality/ nutrients will allow the experts here to better help you with a plan.
I believe at the time I test and got the 18 ppb for phosphate the rest of my parameters seemed pretty normal….

Calcium 440
Alk 8.8
Mag 1340
PO4 18ppb
Nitr 12.4
Salinity 1.025

All Hanna checkers except the Mag, everything came back higher than this on ICP test.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on advice given about assessing the tank before you do anything rash. That said, if you do need to lower phosphate, water changes will help at first but depending on how much phosphate has leached into rocks, etc, it will linger. I have had good results using brightwell phosphate-e.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the lines of AReefero1's post: so you have two tests results with widely varying results,which one is actually correct? Are either correct? (You can get a PO4 standard online from a variety of sources.)

FWIW Hanna ultra low doesn't actually test for phosphorus. It only tests for PO4 then uses a conversion number to give the equivelent phosphorus the amount of PO4 represents. It will be off as it's not testing any organic forms of phosphorus (like phospholipids).

I think ICP tests are a usful tool fo rhobbyests but they're not perfect. Here's a good article on the limitations of ICP

Here's a good paper on phosphorus used by photosynthetic marine organisms:
Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Fig. 4 from the above paper
DIP DOP POP.jpg

And cryptic sponges in your system are messing with it also:

BActeria and Sponges

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my skimmer leaked into my tank. Not good. Phosphates up to 2.0. I added media pads by Seapora, a hang of the back reactor with cheato, and of course large water change. Noticeable coral health now. Have not tested again only been running this way for 2 days

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on advice given about assessing the tank before you do anything rash. That said, if you do need to lower phosphate, water changes will help at first but depending on how much phosphate has leached into rocks, etc, it will linger. I have had good results using brightwell phosphate-e.
I’ve seen reviews on Phosphate E killing fish and corals. Is it possible they could have been using it wrong?

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the lines of AReefero1's post: so you have two tests results with widely varying results,which one is actually correct? Are either correct? (You can get a PO4 standard online from a variety of sources.)

FWIW Hanna ultra low doesn't actually test for phosphorus. It only tests for PO4 then uses a conversion number to give the equivelent phosphorus the amount of PO4 represents. It will be off as it's not testing any organic forms of phosphorus (like phospholipids).

I think ICP tests are a usful tool fo rhobbyests but they're not perfect. Here's a good article on the limitations of ICP

Here's a good paper on phosphorus used by photosynthetic marine organisms:
Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Fig. 4 from the above paper
DIP DOP POP.jpg

And cryptic sponges in your system are messing with it also:

BActeria and Sponges

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

So are you saying that the Hanna is misleading me and should not be used. My sump has alot of those pineapple spong

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen reviews on Phosphate E killing fish and corals. Is it possible they could have been using it wrong?
It maybe extreme, but I drip (1 per second) phosphate e diluted 50:1 into my overflow, caught by 5 micron sox. Never had a problem and used this method 50 times over the years.
Must run a skimmer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back