Phosphate remover math help

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking at trying Brightwell Aquarics Phosphat-E. The bottle says 1 ml will remove 1ppm of phosphate from 4 gallons. I have a 100 gallon tank with .1 phosphate. If I add 1.25ml 1 time that should drop my phosphate to .05. Is my math correct? What’s the best way to add this? And how often should I add it?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking at trying Brightwell Aquarics Phosphat-E. The bottle says 1 ml will remove 1ppm of phosphate from 4 gallons. I have a 100 gallon tank with .1 phosphate. If I add 1.25ml 1 time that should drop my phosphate to .05. Is my math correct? What’s the best way to add this? And how often should I add it?

Unfortunately I have no experience with this product. Maybe the #reefsquad knows?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it that I get a 90% in calculus but THIS is what gets me?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay nevermind it didn't get me I figured it out and yes your math is correct

ppm reduced = z
gallons = y
ml dosed = x

The function has 2 variables which is why it was so tricky, but the function would be

upload_2018-11-10_21-30-56.png

When you plug in 1.25ml as x and 100 gallons in as y you get:

upload_2018-11-10_21-32-26.png

upload_2018-11-10_21-32-51.png

upload_2018-11-10_21-33-21.png

Subtract 0.05 from o.1 (your current phosphates) and you get 0.05ppm as you originally calculated

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, phosphate calculations are essentially useless. If you are at 1 ppm in a reef tank and replace 100% of the water with zero phosphate water, you may end up with a high phosphate value again because a large amount of phospahte can come off the rock and sand, and the opposite effect works when dosing it.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, phosphate calculations are essentially useless. If you are at 1 ppm in a reef tank and replace 100% of the water with zero phosphate water, you may end up with a high phosphate value again because a large amount of phospahte can come off the rock and sand, and the opposite effect works when dosing it.
Are you saying the math used above to determine dosage of Lanthium Chloride (Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E) will not be accurate?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying the math used above to determine dosage of Lanthium Chloride (Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E) will not be accurate?
What makes me wonder then is why they include the information 1ml in 4 gallons reduces 1ppm if it's pointless to calculate anyways

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what Randy meant is that it’ll take out 1 ppm but it’ll Leach from the rock back into the water column until it’s balanced out again so you’ll end up with a higher number than you thought you were going to get.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is almost certainly inaccurate regardless (even if done correctly, it assumes no other sink for lanthanum than lanthanum phosphate), but it is intended (if that is the correct word for misuse of chemistry) for lowering phosphate in water only, not where most of the phosphate is bound to rock and sand that acts as a big buffer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what Randy meant is that it’ll take out 1 ppm but it’ll Leach from the rock back into the water column until it’s balanced out again so you’ll end up with a higher number than you thought you were going to get.

yes, that's the most obvious issue. :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though your phosphate drop will almost certainly be less than calculated, you should still be pretty careful with dosing lanthanum directly into your DT. You are looking at attempting to generate a pretty small desired drop in phosphate level with a relatively aggressive technique. Use less than recommended, measure the result the next day, and use again if necessary. I'd also try to avoid allowing the precipitate to circulate as much as possible, as some fish are reportedly sensitive to it. Dripping it drop by drop directly into a 1 micron mesh filter sock in the sump seems to work for some.

Another way to think of the math: 25 ml will drop the phosphate in 100 gallons by 1 ppm. You want a drop of 1/20th of that. 25/20 = 1.25 ml. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back