!!!!PHOSPHATE THAT IS EVIL:FEAR THAT IS REAL!!!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good question. I get all of 3 comfortable years out of my 400gpd membrane and thats with 500-600 tds from tap water, softened. Making about 75-100 gallons every day. I think the part of the key is pre filtration. And a proper waste ratio.

3:1 or 4:1 should get you at least a few years out of a decent membrane. Squash that ratio and your membrane will not last as long. if you think your TFC is clogging at all, then id definitely recommend exploring your waste ratio and adjusting if necessary. I have a boring but detailed mini write up for the process I use. Let me know if you'd like to read it.

also I change out my carbons more than I need to im sure but I feel better about it. doing so.

And I am a big fan of the Spectrapure zetta zorb pleated sediment filter.

I get about 3-4 years out of my membrane. Yes, I'd like to read your detailed process. Pass it along however you like......here or in a pm is fine.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I get about 3-4 years out of my membrane. Yes, I'd like to read your detailed process. Pass it along however you like......here or in a pm is fine.
interesting subject here all of a sudden as I have been hearing varying degrees of lengths people go before swapping out membranes from 2 months to 6 years!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting subject here all of a sudden as I have been hearing varying degrees of lengths people go before swapping out membranes from 2 months to 6 years!
I have a series setup replace the first one every 2 years and #2 every year as it gets the concentrate from #1. Could #1 go longer? Absolutely but it’s cheap insurance.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it a whole 5 months before my RO membranes needed changing... I blame Beloit Water.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a series setup replace the first one every 2 years and #2 every year as it gets the concentrate from #1. Could #1 go longer? Absolutely but it’s cheap insurance.
truth is id really be careful with that set up. I know it's widely used and accepted and clearly has been working for you but can be a "ticking time bomb" as they say because the second membrane is not being flushed at 3:1 while in use. do you happen to know what youre running the waste ratio at currently?

curious are you running this to conserve water, or to make more water at a time?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made it a whole 5 months before my RO membranes needed changing... I blame Beloit Water.
ok. now I am curious. what brought you to this conclusion? did TDS jump or did you see anything more insidious that just gave you a feeling it was time to change it out?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. now I am curious. what brought you to this conclusion? did TDS jump or did you see anything more insidious that just gave you a feeling it was time to change it out?
TDS jumped. Membrane was ruptured on the primary. 20tds before DI stage. Which is over 10% passthrough.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truth is id really be careful with that set up. I know it's widely used and accepted and clearly has been working for you but can be a "ticking time bomb" as they say because the second membrane is not being flushed at 3:1 while in use. do you happen to know what youre running the waste ratio at currently?

curious are you running this to conserve water, or to make more water at a time?
Both reasons. You pointing out the caveats of doing so a while back was what made me change my membrane schedule.

I only have a 75g reef so do you think I should go shorter time on the second membrane?

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had known about phosphates earlier on. I am a new reefer (2.5 years) and I was under the assumption after doing "research" that phosphates had to be low. I can't tell you how many corals I have lost by stripping phosphates clean in order to achieve a low nutrient system. After really digging into this forum lately I see many thriving tanks with "high" phosphates. After stopping out my agressive approach on lowering phosphates, I let them climb and settle out. I have had them as high as .50 without any negative effect on the tank. I've since adopted a more natural approach to nutrient control like lots of rock and a regugium with good success. Glad to know that phosphates aren't the boogeyman like so many companies are pushing.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Both reasons. You pointing out the caveats of doing so a while back was what made me change my membrane schedule.

I only have a 75g reef so do you think I should go shorter time on the second membrane?
ah ha that makes sense. lol indeed. I can be a bit obsessive about this one. lol. usually one of the the first things I'll address if people are having issues.

id think that the work around of replacing the second one often would be effective for the most part. Do you happen to know what your waste ration is now by any chance? doing you think your running closer to 1:1?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha that makes sense. lol indeed. I can be a bit obsessive about this one. lol. usually one of the the first things I'll address if people are having issues.

id think that the work around of replacing the second one often would be effective for the most part. Do you happen to know what your waste ration is now by any chance? doing you think your running closer to 1:1?

Def close to 1:1 now. I’m thinking putting a flush valve on both membranes vs the one would also be good practice. I run the flush for 5 min at the start of every production cycle and opening 1 more ball valve is hardly an inconvenience.

FWIW I see commercial 3 membrane units running 1:1 or better but they also have a 4 foot carbon tank, run on soft water, and have auto flush valves that open on a schedule via a controller. They also have 3 foot $400 membranes so not really apples to apples haha.

ANYWHO this is totally derailing your phosphate thread sorry!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Def close to 1:1 now. I’m thinking putting a flush valve on both membranes vs the one would also be good practice. I run the flush for 5 min at the start of every production cycle and opening 1 more ball valve is hardly an inconvenience.

FWIW I see commercial 3 membrane units running 1:1 or better but they also have a 4 foot carbon tank, run on soft water, and have auto flush valves that open on a schedule via a controller. They also have 3 foot $400 membranes so not really apples to apples haha.

ANYWHO this is totally derailing your phosphate thread sorry!
no its great man I love the candor!!

at this point then, id say if it ain't broke, but if you find your having issues and can't explain, id probably explore running there tfcs in parallel or loose the second membrane. out of an abundance of caution, if anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back