phosphate

AlbinoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Phos are about 0.25, I used to have tons of algae everywhere, I was fighting with GFO, but no luck because I use natural saltwater for water changes, I switch my chaeto to cauelerpa and add a large cleaner crew, nerites, blue leg, ceriths, sea urchin.... after 20 days no sign of algae, cyano or dinos, and still my phos is 0.25

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say for faster growth/coloration, but I don't worry about having phosphates. Crazy that people strive for 0 phosphates only to add it back via supplementing it o_O

I guess maybe they like having better control on the amount in their system, but then again my reef isn't where I want it either so take my opinion with a grain of salt (do not think it is because of phosphates though, just stopped taking care of it a while back and now getting back full force into it - working from home is great).
I had 0 for awhile and got dinos....so pointless to strive for 0’s IMHO

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 0.25 high phospate. I suck at math! haha. Isnt that lower than recommended 0.2. I always thought it was supposed to be .02 so I thought I was high but these charts people are posting say .2 so pretty sure 0.25 is lower. I know my nitrtaes are 10 . The problem is I only have 10 gallons and no skimmer. I am always cleaning tank, with my turkey baster and getting up any leftover food. I just started feeding my acan chunks of krill beacsue they wont eat reef roids or brine. It must be a large pice or it just sits there. Bit i squirt a tint bit of reef roids at my corals 2 x a week and one time is right before water change. I only have 6 small frags. I also do a water change ever week of about 35 %. Vacum sand bed, clean glass and wave makers and blow off rocks,. I change filter floss every time after I feed. Before I feed corals I didnt need to use it but now the next day after reef roids its brown! I have been using gfo and carbon with chemi elite but it dried out so maybe not even working.. I picked up a mall skimmer Imay just use a few days a week, or something because there is no room to keep in my tank. I have a hob filter.

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 2 cents....me being new to reef tanks.....i just started dosing phosphates......0.09 is where i keep mine at and i have moslty lps and a birdsnest.....never seen them more fluffy since i started to add them....big difference in my tank....they where 0 before

Nataleeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump on thread, measured my phosphates for the first time today using salifert and I’m measuring zero, nitrates 5. Ammonia zero, nitrite zero. Ph 7.8 and alk 9.7. Do I need to raise phosphates a little, have only a few snails atm due to tank being fallow but will be getting a peppermint shrimp on Friday so wanna make sure things are good

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back