Phosphates and Aqua Forest Reef Salt

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fighting phosphates at .26 on my Hanna ULR tester for a couple of weeks now in my reef using Aqua Forest Reef Salt. I have tested the water coming from my RO-DI and the TDS is 0002PPM. So I decided to test my water change mix where I used Aqua Forest Reef Salt and the phosphates tested .26, the same as I've been testing in the reef. I'm very amazed that this salt produce is what I've been fighting to lower my phosphates, and in fact it's increased the levels every water change. Has anyone had this problem, think it's time to change salts, any recommendations?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very surprised if there is significant phosphate in any reef salt mix. Maybe it is an error, or there is some other source in your mixing barrel.

What do you mix in?

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, bought brand new. I'm new to this and can't seem to figure this out but when I tested my water right before doing the water change the test result was .26. I'm really confused.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to know is to mix a small batch in a cleaned/new 5g pail and confirm phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, bought brand new. I'm new to this and can't seem to figure this out but when I tested my water right before doing the water change the test result was .26. I'm really confused.

Might be something leftover in the bucket. Might be testing error. Salt mixes do not typically get "bad batches" with high phosphate. It isn't a normal ingredient that can just be not mixed in well or that they accidentally added too much.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your RODI numbers are wrong.
I would look there.
Get some distilled water. Test it.
Then make a gallon with your salt mix, see what numbers you get then.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean out your bucket with hot water and vinegar and let it air dry really well. I bet there is residue left in the bucket from something if it’s not a testing error. I assume your hanna reagent packets are not expired?

Back