Phosphates and ChemiPure Elite question

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tl:dr - How long does ChemiPure Elite take to drop phosphates?

Longer version - for a variety of reasons my phosphates spiked recently. Had been holding steady at .05 - 0.15 for a few months. Jumped to 0.75.

I added a skimmer and a bag of ChemiPure Elite (carbon + GFO) to my 65 gallon AIO.

It’s been a week and the phosphates have dropped to 0.41 so it’s helping!

My questions are:

1) How long does it typically take to get the phosphates down to a healthy level using something like ChemiPure Elite?

2) As I’m working on dropping the phosphates, how often should I change out the ChemiPure Elite?

Thanks!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less feeding and good old water changes will help the most. I have. Not seen really any drops with elite but I heavily feed. Water looks amazing though

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use chemipure elite… use chemipure blue… better at dropping quicker
Better for controlling phosphates? Forgive my ignorance (I’ve only been reefing a year) but isn’t the GFO in the Elite specifically for controlling phosphates?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less feeding and good old water changes will help the most. I have. Not seen really any drops with elite but I heavily feed. Water looks amazing though
Yeah I’ve backed off a bit on feeding (though I never fed heavily) and do weekly 10% water changes.

To be fair, phosphates have dropped from 0.75 to 0.41 in the first week of using Chemipure Elite

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tl:dr - How long does ChemiPure Elite take to drop phosphates?

Longer version - for a variety of reasons my phosphates spiked recently. Had been holding steady at .05 - 0.15 for a few months. Jumped to 0.75.

I added a skimmer and a bag of ChemiPure Elite (carbon + GFO) to my 65 gallon AIO.

It’s been a week and the phosphates have dropped to 0.41 so it’s helping!

My questions are:

1) How long does it typically take to get the phosphates down to a healthy level using something like ChemiPure Elite?

2) As I’m working on dropping the phosphates, how often should I change out the ChemiPure Elite?

Thanks!

Its really hard to say how fast it takes it out because it all depends on how much of the tank water is forces through the media. You can keep it in until you hit your desired levels or till phosphate starts rising (from it being used up).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t use chemipure elite… use chemipure blue… better at dropping quicker
Actually Elite is quicker as it contains GFO

THE BENEFITS OF USING
CHEMI-PURE ELITE:​

• Keeps pH stable and constant
  • Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
  • Keeps aquariums crystal clear
  • Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
  • Filters out phosphates (PO4) and silicates (SIO2)
  • Reduces nuisance algae
  • Removes dissolved organics

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You dont want to drop it too rapidly. Chemipure blue which will more keep it in check will act slower.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate spikes in my experience usually come from something having died hidden long enough to rot. The worst are snails, especially big ones. I had two little kid fist sized turbos and didn’t notice that one had died until the algae bloom. By the time I found the shell it was already empty!

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate spikes in my experience usually come from something having died hidden long enough to rot. The worst are snails, especially big ones. I had two little kid fist sized turbos and didn’t notice that one had died until the algae bloom. By the time I found the shell it was already empty!
Oy vey!

We had a decent sized trachy melt away on us in a place of the tank we didn’t notice until it was too late. Pretty sure it’s what caused the spike.

Back