Phosphates at 4.5

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a tank running for over 2 years. It is a FOWLR tank that I added GSP to. As it wasn’t a reef I didn’t pay close attention to phosphates, but when it started to get overwhelmed with turf Algea I reached out here for help. I have eliminated the turf Algea but in the process of cleaning and scrubbing rock I spread aiptasia throughout the tank. On the hitchhiker forum I am getting recommendations to use berghia nudibranch, butterfly fish and and or peppermint shrimp. I believe that the sunset wrasse will cause problems with the nudibranchs, and all the predators will take out the shrimp.
I am considering a nuclear option of 24 hour bleach followed with power wash and dressy water soak. This should hopefully eliminate all or most of any trapped organically to eliminate phosphates leaching into the system. However is there a way to achieve this in the tank without going nuclear.
I am currently dosing lanthanum Chloride (Brightwell phosphate-e). I have rehomed several of the fish to a 210 gallon tank as I think it was also overstocked.
If I could have success with a butterfly eating the aiptasia (far too much to try to treat with Aiptasia-X) would lanthanum eventually overcome the phosphates or am I better to start the nuclear option.
If I go nuclear my plan is scrub rock then 24 hour chlorine soak 1:10 (1 gallon bleach to 10 gallons water) then power wash and return to different barrel for 24 hour freshwater soak. Again rinse and place in third barrel at 1.015 salinity with bottled bacteria, pump and heater doses with ammonia to cycle for 7-14 days. final
Rinse in clean saltwater and return to tank.
Any advise appreciated.
Of course I would t treat the GSP this way, I will have to use the aiptasia-x on it.

A6699A04-33BD-4C5E-A5D2-BFA0FED45548.jpeg 2D193884-319B-42A2-B892-4464E8D065A5.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copperhead and filefish should eat that pretty well. There are places that can get larger ones if you're worried about them being eaten.

There are also peppermint shrimp from places like @AlgaeBarn.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I see some corals in your aiptasia...
Yes there is some GSP. Was to be a FOWLR tank, but I like this long polyp GSP so added a rock I got that had been stripped and only the purple left. It came back nicely.
Issue I have is wether I can legitimately reduce the phosphates in the tank without having to do a nuclear option on the rock. In the hitchhiker forum I was convinced to order a couple of butterflyfish to see if they can take it out.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Copperhead and filefish should eat that pretty well. There are places that can get larger ones if you're worried about them being eaten.

There are also peppermint shrimp from places like @AlgaeBarn.
Yeah I ordered a couple of butterflyfish a raccoon and a pearlscale. Peppermint shrimp are out as the porcupine will eat them probably the sunset wrasse and the clown grouper as well. My biggest question now is will lanthanum chloride reduce phosphates enough without having to tear out the rock and bleach it.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes is the short answer on LC.
Since it is t a reef I’m ok with it taking a while. Think I might increase the dose. I have been running it for quite a while, but believe the tank was o restocked so moving the bigger boys to a 210.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back