Phosphates high and usual methods not brining them down

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing phosphates to keep levels non-zero and balance N:p for macro in the fuge. I made a stock solution as I have done in the past and diluted it 1:3 with RODI and when testing my dosing pump setup I unplugged the wrong cord and sat back down to realize the doser was still going. Tested at .21 which wasn't outrageously high but used some Phosbond (or phosguard... I threw away the packaging... and blanking on it) and rinsed and put in in a high flow area of the sump.

Two days later I tested again and got .23. Made sure I didn't make the same mistake twice and unplug the wrong doser, checked that fuge lights were correct and reduced an auto feeder for my mandarin to 1 feeding and the fish skipped dinner. Iron tested on lower end by non-zero, moved the phosbond down a layer in media tray and removed detritus/changed socks. Jumping ahead 2 days later I test a .25 and confirmed high phosphates on Salifert. This last 4 days I have reduced feeding, used phosbond, stopped nutrient dosing and still climbing. I got in some F2 from Fritz and dosed the non-nutrient portion. Why the sudden increase in phosphates despite months of being deficient and dosing them? Why didn't phosbond put a dent in the levels?

Thoughts? WC tonight and hopefully BRS restocks the Hanna reagent.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try a pouch of chemipure elite which which will lower it and keep it in check

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference typically I need to dose .02 phosphates daily to keep from bottoming out. It is strange that the Aluminum Oxide didn't make a dent in it for 4 days though, right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back