Phosphates not stable

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again,

Once again I would like to thank this community for all the help and input that has been given for the questions I have posted. I have something else I need some assistance with. Over the course of 2.5 weeks, I went from taking my phosphates down from .2 to .04 using rowaphos in a mesh bag. Once I saw it came to .04 I took the rowaphos out and tested again 24 hours later to see if there was a change, and the phosphate shot back to .11. I am hoping someone can give some advice about how to get this phosphate to stabilize because I do not want to run rowaphos on and off. Would possibly raising my nitrate help the phosphate to stay more stable? Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Here are the tank details:

38 gallon AIO mixed reef
Running media basket with mechanical filtration and rowaphos (since it shot back up) and protein skimmer
Alk: 7.2
Calcium: 440
Phosphate: .11 (from .04 in 24 hours)
Nitrate: 0-1 (based off nyos test kit)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate: .11 (from .04 in 24 hours)

Both of those values are fine. I would not agonize over trying to more tightly control it, whether it is a real change or test error.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those values are fine. I would not agonize over trying to more tightly control it, whether it is a real change or test error.
Hey Randy, thank you for the reply. I Definitley agree, just have been tracking it more because I’ve been having issues with cyanobacteria. Granted when the outbreak was bad my phosphates were over .21 with nitrates at 0. But still just wanted to make sure I can keep the levels more stable

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods add a lot of phosphate every day, and you have little control over how long it takes organisms to digest food and release phosphate. I don't think trying to control that level of phosphate stability is needed or even possible.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods add a lot of phosphate every day, and you have little control over how long it takes organisms to digest food and release phosphate. I don't think trying to control that level of phosphate stability is needed or even possible.
Thank you Randy, appreciate the help. I’ll let the tank do its thing for a while and see how it progresses. Any tips if I keep encountering cyano? Anything else I should keep an eye on?

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nitrate at 0 I would work on raising them a little and just keeping an eye on phosphate. I have tank with phos at 0.5 and all is good but nitrates are close to 20
Yeah I keep reading about not chasing specific numbers it’s just the two at a specific ratio is better than others

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I keep reading about not chasing specific numbers it’s just the two at a specific ratio is better than others

Well, IMO there's no evidence to support ratios are ever being useful as targets, as opposed to targeting both N and P at appropriate levels independently.

Having both too high or both too low can maintain any ratio you want, but are still undesirable. Having both in desirable ranges solves any such concern.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, IMO there's no evidence to support ratios are ever being useful as targets, as opposed to targeting both N and P at appropriate levels independently.

Having both too high or both too low can maintain any ratio you want, but are still undesirable. Having both in desirable ranges solves any such concern.
Makes sense, do you have any experience with dosing nitrates? In my tank it seems that whenever I feed more only phosphate levels increase

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a little less rowaphos and change it when your number starts rising. I can keep my phosphates between .03 and .1 with about a tablespoon of rowaphos in a small filter sock changed out monthly in my 30 mixed reef

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, do you have any experience with dosing nitrates? In my tank it seems that whenever I feed more only phosphate levels increase

FWIW, I never needed to dose nitrate.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a little less rowaphos and change it when your number starts rising. I can keep my phosphates between .03 and .1 with about a tablespoon of rowaphos in a small filter sock changed out monthly in my 30 mixed reef
Good to know thank you for the input!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back