Phosphates positive, how to control

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my phosphates have been consistently testing at .25 (api test kit), nitrate nitrite and ammonia all zero. For nutrient export I’m doing weekly 10% water changes and chaeto in the Refugium. I have minor brownish algae in the sand bed, nothing in the rocks. I have a lot of algae that grows in the sump, including on the chateo (which I’m not a fan of). My grow light spills everywhere and isn’t confined just to the refugium compartment. I don’t think I overfeed and I’m not overstocked. 4 fish in a 35g cube. I feed half cube of 50/50 a day. No corals yet, just a rock anemone. Various cleanup crew.

Will adding a skimmer help with phosphates? I really don’t want 0 nutrients as I know some corals and anemones prefer some nutrients. What other options do I have for phosphate control?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use RODI water? First thing to check is that you're not putting phosphates in with your water changes!

If phosphates are just coming from your natural bioload then one good way to control is with GFO (granular ferric oxide). It can be run in a media reactor, or in a media bag with good flow.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use RODI water? First thing to check is that you're not putting phosphates in with your water changes!

If phosphates are just coming from your natural bioload then one good way to control is with GFO (granular ferric oxide). It can be run in a media reactor, or in a media bag with good flow.
Didn’t even think of checking my rodi... using a BRS 4 stage.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think API kits are good for testing phosphates. I would get a better test kit or invest in a Hanna checker.

GFO, aluminum based phosphate removers, and lanthanum chloride are some of the methods to remove phosphates. For more info I recommend this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s worth noting that the resolution of the API phosphate test kit is such that your actual PO4 level may not be anywhere near .25ppm. If you’re not experiencing any major issues in the display itself it may be worth checking a more accurate test kit first just to make sure.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s worth noting that the resolution of the API phosphate test kit is such that your actual PO4 level may not be anywhere near .25ppm. If you’re not experiencing any major issues in the display itself it may be worth checking a more accurate test kit first just to make sure.

Okay, I’ll look into new tests. The LFS suggested this one so I tried it.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if your phosphates are really .25 ppm I personally would do nothing about it. That’s not a bad number, phosphates aren’t an evil thing. Not having phosphates is much worse than having a lot of them. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back