Phosphates should I worry

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
My phosphates are high probably 3 to 5, I have tried GFO and spent a fare amount on it but it doesn't seem to come down. I have a refugium. I am wondering if it is really hurting anything? I keep a few acro's a few LPS and have 2 clams. I know that my ALK binds with the phosphate. The only thing that I can think of and I don't think I can test for it is I dose Plankton that I grow in a 20 gallon tank, it's a think green water. I Just can't figure out where it's coming from. TDS on my RODI is 0. Really I am not sure it's hurting anything. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using a phosphate removal product by Brightwell, I think its called ePhos or something. It has been working very well for me to get phosphates exactly where I want them. With phosphates as high as yours right now you will want to get those down or risk stunted coral growth.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using a phosphate removal product by Brightwell, I think its called ePhos or something. It has been working very well for me to get phosphates exactly where I want them. With phosphates as high as yours right now you will want to get those down or risk stunted coral growth.
Has not seemed to affect my coral growth, I am running a calcium reactor though.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks once made it to phosphates of at least 3ppm, probably more but it exceeded the limit of the kit, and nitrates of 80ppm. Corals looked ok, but all my coraline disappeared. I got it down after several weeks using both gfo and phosguard at the same time, changing both out every 2-3 days. I tested every couple of days and as soon as it stared to climb, I switched both out. I also ran nopox and increased water change volume.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks once made it to phosphates of at least 3ppm, probably more but it exceeded the limit of the kit, and nitrates of 80ppm. Corals looked ok, but all my coraline disappeared. I got it down after several weeks using both gfo and phosguard at the same time, changing both out every 2-3 days. I tested every couple of days and as soon as it stared to climb, I switched both out. I also ran nopox and increased water change volume.
I
I guess I will attempt the Lanthanom chloride route. My NO3 is .1 to .3 at its its highest when is bottoms out I get a cayno surge and have ro dose NO3. Guess my next project will be to build a Lanthanom chloride reactor. I saw one on YouTube.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back