Phosphates

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as some of you know I had a devastating tank crash a couple months ago in both tanks and lost alot including all my fish, inverts. I had finally bounced back and my corals are growing good looking beautiful, I got some more sweet little fish buddies and I've noticed diatoms coming back and tonight I saw a balloon algae (Dino) I feel so anxious and scared this whole situation is going to happen again! So I really believe it's my phosphates that are so low like .02. How do you dose phosphates? I'm not sure about the diatoms, I cleaned the canister filter out a couple of days ago (wasn't bad) and the diatoms were even worse today brown film all over glass. I overfeeding for like 2 days, but haven't since.

Ruglayers reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as some of you know I had a devastating tank crash a couple months ago in both tanks and lost alot including all my fish, inverts. I had finally bounced back and my corals are growing good looking beautiful, I got some more sweet little fish buddies and I've noticed diatoms coming back and tonight I saw a balloon algae (Dino) I feel so anxious and scared this whole situation is going to happen again! So I really believe it's my phosphates that are so low like .02. How do you dose phosphates? I'm not sure about the diatoms, I cleaned the canister filter out a couple of days ago (wasn't bad) and the diatoms were even worse today brown film all over glass. I overfeeding for like 2 days, but haven't since.
I wouldn't dose phosphate but I would dose nitrate
I had same problem almost messed up dosing phosphate to high got it under control and now just dose nitrate that seems to work for my system may work for you
Dose low and slow test often also to make sure parameters are in line

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose phosphate but I would dose nitrate
I had same problem almost messed up dosing phosphate to high got it under control and now just dose nitrate that seems to work for my system may work for you
Dose low and slow test often also to make sure parameters are in line
My Nitrate has always been good 15-20ppm except when I overfed last week it was 80 or so the api test kit read

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more. Feed more often. What size tank? How many fish? What fish? How big? Ride it out the diatom will go away on its own.
D
I'm more worried about the DINOS!!! I have a small false angel lemonpeel, snowflake clown, dwarf ocellaris baby, and regular ocellaris baby. 55 gal.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more worried about the DINOS!!! I have a small false angel lemonpeel, snowflake clown, dwarf ocellaris baby, and regular ocellaris baby. 55 gal.
Can't feed more because I run on the high side of nitrates

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those come from feeding too little actually. Your tank is trying to find balance and it will but only if you keep the same Routine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can't feed more because I run on the high side of nitrates
Do NOT feed more. It will quickly elevate phosphates and eventually nitrates and even trigger ammonia spikes plus cyano or dino. Your phos will climb slowly. I have a dino recipe for you should signs start to appear.
For now, you can dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day and dose .5ml of hydrogen peroxide at night per 10 gals over the next 10 days. This will help control the potential for dine. Have some cerityh, margarita, astrea and trochus snails in tank to assist with any cyano and dino potential.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT feed more. It will quickly elevate phosphates and eventually nitrates and even trigger ammonia spikes plus cyano or dino. Your phos will climb slowly. I have a dino recipe forqa you should signs start to appear.
For now, you can dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day and dose .5ml of hydrogen peroxide at night per 10 gals over the next 10 days. This will help control the potential for dine. Have some cerityh, margarita, astrea and trochus snails in tank to assist with any cyano and dino potential.
I have all different snails. I'm using seachem phosphate strip and API basic test and fluval UV sterilizer

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT feed more. It will quickly elevate phosphates and eventually nitrates and even trigger ammonia spikes plus cyano or dino. Your phos will climb slowly. I have a dino recipe for you should signs start to appear.
I was waiting for you to show up haha

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those come from feeding too little actually. Your tank is trying to find balance and it will but only if you keep the same Routine.
Thats the problem though I'm on the higher end of acceptable nitrate I'm more of an overfeeder

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats the problem though I'm on the higher end of acceptable nitrate I'm more of an overfeeder
Add a pouch of chemipure Blue or even elite. Both will keep it in check

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have all different snails. I'm using seachem phosphate strip and API basic test and fluval UV sterilizer
I thought so- API notorious for false readings. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kit and see what readings they come up with and for comparison

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok for how long? And what's that for exactly. I've never really done chemicals
Its a pouch with media. Run it for at least 2 months

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back