Question on nitrate/phosphate ratio

Jam12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reef2reef so I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. Nitrates 40 pmm, phosphate 4 pmm, salinity 1.023
I was wondering if my ratio of nitrate to phosphate was ok. Also what I could do to fix it if it's not.

I work at a fish store on the weekends with a 180 gallon saltwater display with a ~20 gallon sump which runs carbon, filterfloss, bio wheel, UV sterilzer, and a protein skimmer. since I only work weekends when it's most busy I don't really have time to do to many water changes and can only change out 35 gallons at one time.

It is a very well established tank its been running for about 20 years I believe. We mostly keep a variety of damsels, anemone, a few zooanthid fragments, snails, shrimp, and a couple other smaller fish. I would consider the tank just barely overstocked since we sell and get new fish in weekly.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reef2reef so I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. Nitrates 40 pmm, phosphate 4 pmm, salinity 1.023
I was wondering if my ratio of nitrate to phosphate was ok. Also what I could do to fix it if it's not.

I work at a fish store on the weekends with a 180 gallon saltwater display with a ~20 gallon sump which runs carbon, filterfloss, bio wheel, UV sterilzer, and a protein skimmer. since I only work weekends when it's most busy I don't really have time to do to many water changes and can only change out 35 gallons at one time.

It is a very well established tank its been running for about 20 years I believe. We mostly keep a variety of damsels, anemone, a few zooanthid fragments, snails, shrimp, and a couple other smaller fish. I would consider the tank just barely overstocked since we sell and get new fish in weekly.
I hope you've got a pic of this tank to post. I wouldn't worry about the ratio between "a little high" and "very high" personally.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the ratio is not a pertinent question, rather than whether either is in a desirable range. If 4 ppm is accurate for phosphate, it is the highest I’ve ever seen reported and is an experiment in its own right.

Upvote 0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back