Question on nitrate/phosphate ratio

Jam12

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Burke
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reef2reef so I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. Nitrates 40 pmm, phosphate 4 pmm, salinity 1.023
I was wondering if my ratio of nitrate to phosphate was ok. Also what I could do to fix it if it's not.

I work at a fish store on the weekends with a 180 gallon saltwater display with a ~20 gallon sump which runs carbon, filterfloss, bio wheel, UV sterilzer, and a protein skimmer. since I only work weekends when it's most busy I don't really have time to do to many water changes and can only change out 35 gallons at one time.


It is a very well established tank its been running for about 20 years I believe. We mostly keep a variety of damsels, anemone, a few zooanthid fragments, snails, shrimp, and a couple other smaller fish. I would consider the tank just barely overstocked since we sell and get new fish in weekly.
 
Hello, I'm new to reef2reef so I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. Nitrates 40 pmm, phosphate 4 pmm, salinity 1.023
I was wondering if my ratio of nitrate to phosphate was ok. Also what I could do to fix it if it's not.

I work at a fish store on the weekends with a 180 gallon saltwater display with a ~20 gallon sump which runs carbon, filterfloss, bio wheel, UV sterilzer, and a protein skimmer. since I only work weekends when it's most busy I don't really have time to do to many water changes and can only change out 35 gallons at one time.


It is a very well established tank its been running for about 20 years I believe. We mostly keep a variety of damsels, anemone, a few zooanthid fragments, snails, shrimp, and a couple other smaller fish. I would consider the tank just barely overstocked since we sell and get new fish in weekly.
I hope you've got a pic of this tank to post. I wouldn't worry about the ratio between "a little high" and "very high" personally.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that the ratio is not a pertinent question, rather than whether either is in a desirable range. If 4 ppm is accurate for phosphate, it is the highest I’ve ever seen reported and is an experiment in its own right.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new