Phosphates

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, dumb question. So if you have algae you have phosphorus in your tank but it tests zero because it’s tied up in your rock and substrate. So how do you know when to change out the gfo?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, dumb question. So if you have algae you have phosphorus in your tank but it tests zero because it’s tied up in your rock and substrate. So how do you know when to change out the gfo?

The amount of phosphate that remains attached to rock and sand surfaces is a function of the concentration in the water. More in the water means more on the calcium carbonate surfaces.

The amount of phosphate bound to rock and sand when the levels in the water are stable and undetectable with a good kit are quite low and likely not important.

If you do not detect phosphate in the water, I'd remove the GFO and see what happens. Too low of phosphate can be worse than too high.

OP
OP
S

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of phosphate that remains attached to rock and sand surfaces is a function of the concentration in the water. More in the water means more on the calcium carbonate surfaces.

The amount of phosphate bound to rock and sand when the levels in the water are stable and undetectable with a good kit are quite low and likely not important.

If you do not detect phosphate in the water, I'd remove the GFO and see what happens. Too low of phosphate can be worse than too high.
6456A85C-2A1C-47BF-A891-056167036E50.jpeg

I’ve been dealing with this for a bit. Think maybe it’s Calothrix. Only on the rock. Doesn’t get very tall. Just a fuzzy film

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo and just increased my snail population. How is a algae problem a least problem?
It is possible to have pest algae with low nutrient levels. In the ocean where these algae live, nutrients are lower than our tanks.
Like @LiveFreeAndReef said, an herbivore might be your solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is a algae problem a least problem?

A pest problem? Because it looks like you have a problematic kind of algae growing there, and adjusting chemicals is not typically a good solution for such scenarios.

Some sort of herbivore or aggressive manual removal plan to treating rocks outside the tank (such as with peroxide) may be the best bet.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6456A85C-2A1C-47BF-A891-056167036E50.jpeg

I’ve been dealing with this for a bit. Think maybe it’s Calothrix. Only on the rock. Doesn’t get very tall. Just a fuzzy film
Looks like a cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
S

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cyanobacteria.
That’s what I’ve been thinking but it’s only on the rock not on the sand. That’s why I’ve been trying to pin it down. I’ve seen cyno can be green so I’ve been on the fence with a chemclean treatment. I picked up some Mexican turbo snails who are helping. There is some nice coralline algae under that mess

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve been thinking but it’s only on the rock not on the sand. That’s why I’ve been trying to pin it down. I’ve seen cyno can be green so I’ve been on the fence with a chemclean treatment. I picked up some Mexican turbo snails who are helping. There is some nice coralline algae under that mess
My Mexican turbos seem to be put off by cyanobacteria, at least if there is any on the Ulva I grow (I now give the alga a cold tap water rinse before feeding the snails). Yours are maybe plowing through the cyanobacteria, though I suppose they could be eating the stuff.

Cyanobacteria tends to grow in slimey films that do not attach very strongly to surfaces. I would hazard a generalization that most algae adhere strongly.

With regard to the effectiveness of Chemiclean, remove a good size sample of the slime or small piece of slime covered rock and place it in a clear container of tank water. Treat this specimen with the recommended dose of Chemiclean to see what happens. Illuminate and if possible aerate the sample to duplicate aquarium conditions. We want to determine if it dies from Chemiclean not darkness, though you can do that experiment too. If Chemiclean has any effect, you should see it in 24 hours.

OP
OP
S

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mexican turbos seem to be put off by cyanobacteria, at least if there is any on the Ulva I grow (I now give the alga a cold tap water rinse before feeding the snails). Yours are maybe plowing through the cyanobacteria, though I suppose they could be eating the stuff.

Cyanobacteria tends to grow in slimey films that do not attach very strongly to surfaces. I would hazard a generalization that most algae adhere strongly.

With regard to the effectiveness of Chemiclean, remove a good size sample of the slime or small piece of slime covered rock and place it in a clear container of tank water. Treat this specimen with the recommended dose of Chemiclean to see what happens. Illuminate and if possible aerate the sample to duplicate aquarium conditions. We want to determine if it dies from Chemiclean not darkness, though you can do that experiment too. If Chemiclean has any effect, you should see it in 24 hours.
Thanks, that’s a real good idea. It doesn’t come off easily with a toothbrush so that adds to my reservations with using it.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I also fight with PO4 @ 0.01 (Hanna Checker ULR) and I am dosing ATI Nutrition "P" for a few days now. Well as I know this product is not to raise PO4 I am still working with it. The product was developed to "feed" the tank with PO4 daily. But, my tank is now 3 weeks and NO3 is 10... I need to raise PO4 a little. Would ou overdose the ATI Nutrition P in order to raise PO4?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back