Photo Hosting?

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing from Photobucket to anything else.. Anyone have suggestions? also will use thread to see how sharing function works on different services. If you see random pic's this is why.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flickr hands down!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an iPhone or Android?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know you can upload photos directly to R2R, right? No need for third party hosting, here anyway.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know you can upload photos directly to R2R, right? No need for third party hosting, here anyway.

It degrades the quality severely though... well, at least in the media section.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a comparison of the media section image compared to the original loaded from Flickr... EDIT: actually I just uploaded the original photo through the uploader tool also, in the thread reply, and it is exactly like the media section one. So yeah, it SEVERELY alters the image no matter how you load it using the forum tools. Which is the very reason I have always used Flickr. Flickr does not alter the image in any way. And it's actually faster for me to find the image I want on my Flickr account as opposed to my computer:)... my images are not very organized on my computer lol.

Picasso.jpg

Picasso by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It degrades the quality severely though... well, at least in the media section.
May be, but look at all of the threads on all of the forums that Photobucket screwed up when it stopped allowing third party hosting. You can look through tons of threads that are practically useless now, because all of the photos are gone. Who knows when Flicr may decide to do the same. Nice to keep the photos with the content. I know your photos always look awesome, but not everyone has your skills anyway. The software is resizing to maximum sizes, so some loss of quality on some photos. I know that is the way our state forum is (www.lareefclub.com) :)

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://imgur.com/

You don't need a account, unlimited uploads, images are kept 'forever' even without a account, no paid accounts, it is probably the most popular image hosting site.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google Drive is free for up to 15 GB and you can use link sharing on photos to generate a link. Also awesome for documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Use, share and access files anywhere from any device. Love it.

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be, but look at all of the threads on all of the forums that Photobucket screwed up when it stopped allowing third party hosting. You can look through tons of threads that are practically useless now, because all of the photos are gone. Who knows when Flicr may decide to do the same. Nice to keep the photos with the content. I know your photos always look awesome, but not everyone has your skills anyway. The software is resizing to maximum sizes, so some loss of quality on some photos. I know that is the way our state forum is (www.lareefclub.com) :)

Well the image degradation is quite obvious but I agree to your wider point, that said R2R could theoretically disappear too. The only way to be sure that ones images are always available is to host them oneself. Compared to the cost of a aquarium or a decent camera then website hosting and a url are pretty cheap.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this quality issue. Google Drive quality test:

Google
open

R2R direct
80C276DD-ABDA-4BF3-8A37-ACCB560FF6E0.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back