PhotoBox...

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to using mine and I am amazed at how well these pics came out. I just wanted to share them with you all.

Granulosa
CRL_4057.jpg

Rainbow Monti
CRL_4059.jpg

Blue Polyped Cap
CRL_4060.jpg

ORA Blue BottleBrush
CRL_4071.jpg

ORA Pearl Berry
CRL_4039.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have plans for a good photo box? The pics above look amazing! I'd like to DIY one. What camera/lens did you use Chris?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frankly for what it costs in good acrylic, the hassle of getting weld-on, and the risk involved if it leaks, i would let someone with a lot of acrylic experience do this one. i paid 52 bucks delivered for mine.

However, if you are comfortable working with acrylic go for it. Ill post a pic a mine later...should be clear enough how to make it.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Chris. I feel like this is gonna open all new photo competition on R2R.

I love that ORA bottle brush. I want one sooo bad but I can never find it local.

I paid $40 for my photobox but didn't have to pay shipping cause I got it from a local (NYC-NJ) reefer.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frankly for what it costs in good acrylic, the hassle of getting weld-on, and the risk involved if it leaks, i would let someone with a lot of acrylic experience do this one. i paid 52 bucks delivered for mine.

However, if you are comfortable working with acrylic go for it. Ill post a pic a mine later...should be clear enough how to make it.

I'd love to see how to make it. I've made a couple tanks out of acrylic, and some sump baffles. I have some Weld-On kicking around someplace and a bunch of acrylic. BTW, sorry for hijacking the thread Chris. Best Pearlberry I've seen. I sold a couple of them, but shipping always bleaches corals a little so I never got to see it in its' full colored-up glory.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a link to melevsreef photo box.

One thing to notice...on the bottom, the sides extend about a 1/4" past the bottom. This allows you to set it down without scratching the surface you are shooting through.

also, the bent extension is actually really useful, and i would suggest doing it similar.

http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

Anyone have plans for a good photo box? The pics above look amazing! I'd like to DIY one. What camera/lens did you use Chris?

I used a Nikon D200 w/ a sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens

Great pictures! Did you get the box from Melev? Or is it DIY?

DIY. A friend of mine made it for me.

also, the bent extension is actually really useful, and i would suggest doing it similar.

This is very useful. Mine is much close though. It keeps you steadt and prevents you from submerging the box too far.

Last edited:

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a d200 as well. I took these with my photobox that I had a friend help me make.
redandgreenfavitiestopdown2small.jpg

pastelwarandpeacefaviasmall.jpg

ACSteelbluewithredeyestopdownsmall.jpg

icefireechinatatopdownsmall.jpg

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are from my buddies shop. They are 350 gallon acrylic tanks and they are only 14" tall...:D

they make for some awesome topdown pics...I cant really get good top downs at home due to over population. I would take out a dozen corals to get a picture of one.

How do you get the box all the way down to the bottom of the tank like that?

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shots ianiwane. I like the first and third pix. Is the third one the Eye of Jupiter from Hugo?

Nope the third is steel blue red eye favites from aquaticcollection.com
It is crazy bright in person. I am getting a frag of the eyes of Jupiter so I'll be able to compare them soon. From what I've been told the colors are pretty similar.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back