Photogrammetry and 3D Printing for Special Habitat Features

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photogrammetry and 3D Printing for Special Habitat Features

This project is for a terrarium setup, but I have a couple ideas in mind involving features for marine tanks. Here I have used photogrammetry to build a 3D model of a tree branch that I then printed as a planting surface for mini epiphytic ferns, mosses and other plants. It took several steps, but I finally got it all assembled and planted last night in this 6-gallon aquarium.

1-V-23-epiphyte-VIII.jpg

A few years ago, photogrammetry may have seemed to be rather technical and not so accessible, but now there are numerous software options including several available as free downloads. Some are more demanding of PC graphics capability (usually requiring a NVIDIA CUDA GPU) but I found one (the free version of 3DF Zephyr) that runs OK with smaller models on my machine. Some tutorials on the Internet explain photogrammetry with rather elaborate studio photography setups, but with a few tricks a regular phone camera can work just fine. Models of medium resolution are more than adequate for the natural features I have in mind for this one and related projects.

To build this model I collected a 30" branch of Musclewood (Carpinus caroliniana), a small tree/large bush with fascinating ropy stem contours, then took a few dozen photographs in a simple studio setup as inputs for the mesh and 3D model generation.

1-V-23-epiphyte-XI.jpg

1-V-23-epiphyte-III.jpg

1-V-23-epiphyte-IV.jpg

With a 3D modelling/CAD software (also free and very easy to use Tinkercad) I modified the model for printing. Three longer sections are joined with fiberglass rod alignment pins and epoxy adhesive, while a shorter end cap is attached to a short piece of natural wood.

1-V-23-epiphyte-VII.jpg

It has a contrived effect in combination with the live, natural plants, but that's part of the concept I have in mind for it. I bonded Hygrolon wicking terrarium fabric to the replica branch top surface, then secured sphagnum moss and plant cuttings with polyester thread.

1-V-23-epiphyte-X.jpg

1-V-23-epiphyte-IX.jpg

1-V-23-epiphyte-I.jpg

1-V-23-epiphyte-II.jpg

An ultrasonic fogger passes through the enclosure top with a bulkhead fitting and generates a fine water mist to maintain humidity and keep the branch moist.

1-V-23-epiphyte-VI.jpg

Thanks for reading! I intend to do a couple more projects like this. I'll also post an update at some point to show progress with this mini live plant display.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a tree-damaging storm here a few nights ago and I found these really nice American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) fallen branches. I'll have to look these over to find sections straight enough to fit in a bookshelf tank, but I should be able to get a couple good models out of these. They have some nice contours...

3-VIII-23-Platanus-I.jpg

I wondered if there was a botanical term for the round cankers or burls on Sycamore branches and indeed they are a symptom of Sycamore Anthracnose (Apiognomonia veneta) infection....

https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/sycamore-anthracnose

Damaged branches resprout at characteristic right angles and trees often fails to leaf out in the spring until new, undamaged foliage grows. I have seen this particular tree leafless into early summer and I never knew about this explanation before. But it seems to recover OK despite its chronic infection. It's probably the tallest tree in the neighborhood.

I plan to make the next print to match a 11-gallon bookshelf tank, so it will be a bit longer than the first project....

3-VII-23-Bookshelf-I.jpg

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who worked in the mapping and photogrammetry field, this is amazing. In 2010 we were using servers! Great application and you are sparking my and many others imagination. What software do you recommend for more advanced users looking for free software?

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who worked in the mapping and photogrammetry field, this is amazing. In 2010 we were using servers! Great application and you are sparking my and many others imagination. What software do you recommend for more advanced users looking for free software?

The only other one I've used is Meshroom. I do need to get some better graphics capability because the free version of Zephyr can only handle about three dozen images on my computer. This is sufficient for a basic tree branch shape, but I have a few other more complex ideas.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a 7-month growth update for the branch feature. It took them a while to establish, but the mini Ferns, Begonia, Mosses and Peperomia have covered well.

The branch has sagged about 1" with moisture absorption and the weight of the plants and water. A future version will incorporate longer internal tubular cavities for longer fiberglass pins to minimize deformation.

6-XII-23-epiphyte-I-1024x810.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-VI-1024x768.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-IV-1024x819.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-III-1024x768.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-II-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking this project up again.

I have new CAD models for some of the tanks I have in mind. For the sake of planning, this is the best place to start. Now I just need to make some decisions.

UNS 90B - 900mm X 200mm X 250mm

UNS-90B.jpg

Lifegard 6-gallon Bookshelf - 760mm X 150mm X 200mm

Lifegard-6-gallon.jpg

WIO 60SF - 600mm X 300mm X 120mm

WIO-60SF.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back