Physics Question

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 Norwesco 200G water tanks to upgrade my water change station. Each has a 30 in diameter base and will be holding about 1600 lbs of water, so with the tank, that's ~1650 lbs each.

I want to keep them on a platform with my pump and plumbing between them. I suck at carpentry so i'm looking for an easier solution.

I'm considering using 3 (36 x 24 x 12) aluminum dunnage racks placed side by side with a piece of 1/2 in particle board (36 x 72) on top of them. Each dunnage rack is rated for 1300 lbs.

So assuming the tanks are sitting within an inch of each end of the platform, 21 inches of the base of the tank is effectively on the right and left racks, each, and 9 inches of each is on the center rack.

Would that (with the particle board) distribute the weight enough for this to work or am I asking for trouble? If one tank is full and another is empty, would that cause problems?

Thanks,

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use particle board, it wont stand up to the water. Use OSB or better yet plywood instead.

I think the concept would work, my concern would be how close you would be to the limit on those with total water weight.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second, no particleboard. Get some decent plywood.

Make sure the racks are shimmed totally level - and don't use compressible shims. Aluminum will flex quite a bit more and can deform pretty easily, so pay attention to that when setting this up so the load is shared.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rack rails are fairly close to the floor then you can add some supports underneath for added strength in the middle. ideally using a 2x4 frame under the rails would be peace of mind

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly sugest not using standard plywood, but specifically MARINE PLYWOOD. Standard ply is not adequate it will delaminate and swell, marine ply will not.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rython just to make sure I’m tracking this. Your two tanks will weigh about 3300 lbs total, and your thought is that the weight will be distributed equally across three racks which should carry a combined load of 3900 lbs or 1300 lbs each?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this has a 1 ton rating so that would probably be a better bet.
I wouldn't try and save $100 and risk 400 gallons of water on the floor lol

OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rython just to make sure I’m tracking this. Your two tanks will weigh about 3300 lbs total, and your thought is that the weight will be distributed equally across three racks which should carry a combined load of 3900 lbs or 1300 lbs each?
@mike550 That's exactly right. Plus i'm not sure if the load would be distributed across the three sufficiently simply by putting the plywood on the top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this has a 1 ton rating so that would probably be a better bet.
I wouldn't try and save $100 and risk 400 gallons of water on the floor lol
@ReefLab Wow, I didn't even see that one. That's probably way more likely to work. The additional cost isn't too bad.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back