Phyto as GHA management

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going down into the rabbit hole farther than ever before.
I just got a Phyto kit and am going to start my own culture to aide against GHA. My GHA isn't nearly as bad as it had been just two months ago but I want to help keep it at bay as best I can.

My questions are, who has had success using phyto against GHA and how much do you dose if your tank has minimal corals in it.

I've done some scouring via the search and have gotten a few answers regarding the amount to dose daily.
15 to 25 mil per gallon is what I've seen.

Just need a little direction regarding amount.

Thanks. I now have a laboratory in my basement, who'd of thunk lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have know clue to the answer in ml's.

Discussion: The export of nutrients by phyto consumption is completed by the removal of phyto by skimmer, coral uptake, or possibly filter socks or other mechanical filtration. Not having corals to feed isn't the only way to remove the phyto but lacking those I would probably dose the phyto with the skimmer off for a few hours during lights on (let those phyto's grow and uptake no3 and P) and then kick the skimmer on to try and remove them. Probably also work with the mechanical filters the same way?

Are you planning to screen and wash the phyto before you add to reduce nutrient additions during dosing?

Good Luck with that Basement work. So glad you finally got out of the other dungeon hobby~ :) !

Lets call this a bump and see if we can get some more specific answers? k

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have know clue to the answer in ml's.

Discussion: The export of nutrients by phyto consumption is completed by the removal of phyto by skimmer, coral uptake, or possibly filter socks or other mechanical filtration. Not having corals to feed isn't the only way to remove the phyto but lacking those I would probably dose the phyto with the skimmer off for a few hours during lights on (let those phyto's grow and uptake no3 and P) and then kick the skimmer on to try and remove them. Probably also work with the mechanical filters the same way?

Are you planning to screen and wash the phyto before you add to reduce nutrient additions during dosing?

Good Luck with that Basement work. So glad you finally got out of the other dungeon hobby~ :) !

Lets call this a bump and see if we can get some more specific answers? k
I never thought of or seen anyone wash the phyto prior to dosing.
But I don't think that will be a big issue with me as my tank is near zero in nitrates, my DIY scrubber saw to that and my phosphates are at .030 it's just that I expected hair algae at those numbers to pull off easy from the rocks and some has but not all.
That's why I am going to employ Phyto

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 85 actual calculated gallons I dosed 30ml a day of live Phytoplankton and my hair algae went away. SPS dominated tank. @Eldredge has the darkest Phytoplankton I've ever purchased highly recommended.
Thanks that gives me a good point of reference for dosing!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back