Phyto concentrates until a point and then stops.

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am cultivating some phyto to feed copepods. In order to grow it, I dose a phosphate and an ammonia solution. The phyto grows significantly for a few days and then always just stops, regardless of me adding more ammonia and phosphates. The grown phyto gets as green as you can see in the pictures below (when light is passing through it, at night it looks way darker). Is this normal? Or is there a way to concentrate it even further? My starting culture is way more concentrated than the one I am cultivating (I can't see through it when shining light on it).

The picture was taken by a security camera that's why the quality is that low..

1659542703230.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using ambient light from outside? Perhaps the light is limiting the growth inside the bottle?
Totally a wild guess based upon your description of the issue. The only way to know is to confirm the actual numbers of algae/ cm3 of both solutions, not just a visual inspection.
I believe that your rotifers will eat the algae in any case.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using ambient light from outside? Perhaps the light is limiting the growth inside the bottle?
Totally a wild guess based upon your description of the issue. The only way to know is to confirm the actual numbers of algae/ cm3 of both solutions, not just a visual inspection.
I believe that your rotifers will eat the algae in any case.
Yes I am using direct sunlight to grow it. The thing is even if the color is barely noticable, after dosing a bit of ammonia it turns totally green within a day or two. It then stops as in the pictures above as if something is preventing the further growth. That's why I am asking. Does it usually get more concentrated than that? Or this is it?

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is that the problem is your fertilizer. We use F2 fertilizer, which includes the needed nitrates and phosphates, along with trace metals and other trace nutrients.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back