Phyto Culture Cloudy

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I started growing my nanno culture on Friday with a salinity of 1.014 and Miracle Gro (I know it's not as good as f2, but there's a large markup on it here in Canada). I added 1.5mls of fert to start, then .5 mls daily. Did I add too much? I noticed the water is getting more and more cloudy and I'm not sure if this is normal. Should I dump it out and start over?

20220612_131536.jpg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB553E1B-E0E3-4E99-8931-8A2D7FBE9D32.jpeg

Used miracle grow to get my freshwater phyto going. Although it didn’t seems to sustain it longterm. F2 what I’d try going forward. Although I didn’t keep separating my batches which might work with miracle grow. Seems logical. Each new split is technically a new start.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB553E1B-E0E3-4E99-8931-8A2D7FBE9D32.jpeg

Used miracle grow to get my freshwater phyto going. Although it didn’t seems to sustain it longterm. F2 what I’d try going forward. Although I didn’t keep separating my batches which might work with miracle grow. Seems logical. Each new split is technically a new start.
Thanks for the pictures! That definitely puts me at ease. I plan to split and refrigerate once a week, but if I start having issues I'll try to get some f2.

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I started growing my nanno culture on Friday with a salinity of 1.014 and Miracle Gro (I know it's not as good as f2, but there's a large markup on it here in Canada). I added 1.5mls of fert to start, then .5 mls daily. Did I add too much? I noticed the water is getting more and more cloudy and I'm not sure if this is normal. Should I dump it out and start over?

20220612_131536.jpg
My culture (nanno too) was paler and more yellow than yours (I was about to trow all in the trash), now it has a dark green color and I barely see the light (5w 6500k) through.
I'm using a fert based on F2 and now I'm really happy with the result I'm obtaining.
My tip is to harvest periodically, I saw it promote the growth in my experience. Now when I harvest the colture grows faster and the color is way more green than the first 2-3 times

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My culture (nanno too) was paler and more yellow than yours (I was about to trow all in the trash), now it has a dark green color and I barely see the light (5w 6500k) through.
I'm using a fert based on F2 and now I'm really happy with the result I'm obtaining.
My tip is to harvest periodically, I saw it promote the growth in my experience. Now when I harvest the colture grows faster and the color is way more green than the first 2-3 times
The camera changed the colour of it a little bit, it is a little more pale and yellow in real life. I couldn't find any guides on how much fertiliser to put in so I've just been guessing and was worried I put in too much. How much do you use per gallon, and how often?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to do all the dosing at once so you don't open the container more than you have to. Every time you open it you are exposing it to contamination which could explain cloudyness.

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera changed the colour of it a little bit, it is a little more pale and yellow in real life. I couldn't find any guides on how much fertiliser to put in so I've just been guessing and was worried I put in too much. How much do you use per gallon, and how often?
My dose don't match yours cause we use different fert, I just say follow the bottle instruction.
I use to dose a little bit less than the recommended on the instruction cause I prefer to put as little as possible fert on the main tank

it is a little more pale and yellow in real life
you can see on my posts how bad was mine

PS: every time I touch the container for harvesting I sterilize everything with vapor to prevent contamination, I have 2 containers cause if one crash I have the other one as backup, the harvest will be alternate

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dose don't match yours cause we use different fert, I just say follow the bottle instruction.
I use to dose a little bit less than the recommended on the instruction cause I prefer to put as little as possible fert on the main tank

you can see on my posts how bad was mine

PS: every time I touch the container for harvesting I sterilize everything with vapor to prevent contamination, I have 2 containers cause if one crash I have the other one as backup, the harvest will be alternate
20220613_132644.jpg

Seems like I'm going in the opposite direction today, maybe its just because it's cloudy outside but it's less green and more clear now.

The fert instructions are for plants, it says 5mls every 2 weeks. Does that sound similar to what you use?

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220613_132644.jpg

Seems like I'm going in the opposite direction today, maybe its just because it's cloudy outside but it's less green and more clear now.

The fert instructions are for plants, it says 5mls every 2 weeks. Does that sound similar to what you use?
A really bad sight
I think your culture is gone, how many days does it have?
you can wait few days to see how it evolve, smell if there is trace of ammonia

About the fertiliser I wait someone already use it, I can’t help you cause I’ve never use it

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A really bad sight
I think your culture is gone, how many days does it have?
you can wait few days to see how it evolve, smell if there is trace of ammonia

About the fertiliser I wait someone already use it, I can’t help you cause I’ve never use it
I started on Friday. This is how it looks right now, I haven't added any more fertiliser. It doesn't smell like ammonia, almost a sweet smell like plants. There is debris at the bottom

20220614_175943.jpg

20220614_180009.jpg

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started on Friday. This is how it looks right now, I haven't added any more fertiliser. It doesn't smell like ammonia, almost a sweet smell like plants. There is debris at the bottom

20220614_175943.jpg

20220614_180009.jpg
Mine takes 8 days to start turn green, the first days the color become more intense and less transparent (in some way cloudy)

in my opinion you can wait, you don’t have nothing to lose

ps: my culture has debris too

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it starts to go yellow, usually means it’s crashing. Should only have to add fertilizer once, not every day.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine takes 8 days to start turn green, the first days the color become more intense and less transparent (in some way cloudy)

in my opinion you can wait, you don’t have nothing to lose

ps: my culture has debris too
Thank you for the advice! I have some more phyto given to me by someone locally in the fridge that I can use to try again in case this culture crashes, I'll wait it out

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I have some more phyto given to me by someone locally in the fridge that I can use to try again in case this culture crashes, I'll wait it out
To prevent the culture crash you should sterilise everything when you start the culture, for that I use the vapor

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back