Phyto culture issue

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I started growing phyto specifically Chlorella and a mixture of tetra and nano, the mixture started to turn yellow and apparently the chlorella was somewhat green but I don't see them evolving and i
Guess it’s turning yellow too

I disinfected everything with alcohol and h2o2, the water is distilled, the salinity 1.025 and use a 30w led full spectrum light also used Guillard f2 1 ml/l

The chlorella has large green settlements

Do you think the cultures crash or need more f2

0422BEC6-0265-4A66-9D44-838F71E787E9.jpeg

E5C1BE03-B532-4A95-9A24-707C57DDE497.jpeg

12C1441C-86BB-4D67-BBED-BFC944204453.jpeg

EAB686EA-87AE-4A85-8A1D-E12BDC298285.jpeg
505D9B81-85AA-419A-9541-152C100D18E2.jpeg

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you generally want to culture species separately, otherwise they are competing for the same resources and one will usually win in the end.

Other than that, there is a lot going on here to tease out. Could be light shock (too much light too quickly), not enough fertilizer, light cycle , etc.

Also just as a heads up, T. Chui is a larger “heavier” plankton so it’s much harder to keep suspended and tends to have some settling in my experience.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
C

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the answers, I’ll increase the turbulence and drop the light intensity to check what happens

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1). You can’t grow two strains together, as pointed out one will out compete the other and the die off will foul the culture.

2). The most turbulence you can get the better. I don’t even know why some guides say things like a “light boil”. You want that thing bubbling like you are on high boiling water. This is the best way to keep anything from settling and keep the culture alive.

3). Set your lighting schedule to opposite daylight. I run my lights from midnight to 2pm. The reason I run them overnight is to keep the bottle from overheating and raising the temperature of the culture. Fluctuations in temp can cause cultures to crash. I’ve been much more successful doing it this way.

3) 1ml per liter always seems like a light amount to me, it’s always the recommended amount, but some guides I’ve seen say 1.5 ml per liter. I’ve found that to be better. Assuming the culture is doing good, when it starts lightening it is going to crash. Throw some more f2 in and see if it comes back.

OP
OP
C

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better. I don’t even know why some guides say things like a “light boil”. You want that thing bubbling like you are on high boiling w
1). You can’t grow two strains together, as pointed out one will out compete the other and the die off will foul the culture.

2). The most turbulence you can get the better. I don’t even know why some guides say things like a “light boil”. You want that thing bubbling like you are on high boiling water. This is the best way to keep anything from settling and keep the culture alive.

3). Set your lighting schedule to opposite daylight. I run my lights from midnight to 2pm. The reason I run them overnight is to keep the bottle from overheating and raising the temperature of the culture. Fluctuations in temp can cause cultures to crash. I’ve been much more successful doing it this way.

3) 1ml per liter always seems like a light amount to me, it’s always the recommended amount, but some guides I’ve seen say 1.5 ml per liter. I’ve found that to be better. Assuming the culture is doing good, when it starts lightening it is going to crash. Throw some more f2 in and see if it comes back.
Thanks , I add more F2 hope revive

krhagerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, I had a culture crash after splitting it after the first week since it was ready. I got it from a well known supplier and they are going to send me another 16oz bottle. My question is they tell me they start their cultures in a half gallon container first and keep the ambient temp around 79 degrees. now I put one 16oz bottle split between 2 half gallon containers and one 16oz bottle into a gallon container and they both did very well the first week. I did a 4ml to gallon with the f2 so 2ml with the half gallon, the problem was when I split the gallon into 2 separate gallon containers and added more sea water and f2 after a day it crashed. I did my due diligence with sanitizing the containers and rigid airline so I am not sure what happened.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey everyone, I had a culture crash after splitting it after the first week since it was ready. I got it from a well known supplier and they are going to send me another 16oz bottle. My question is they tell me they start their cultures in a half gallon container first and keep the ambient temp around 79 degrees. now I put one 16oz bottle split between 2 half gallon containers and one 16oz bottle into a gallon container and they both did very well the first week. I did a 4ml to gallon with the f2 so 2ml with the half gallon, the problem was when I split the gallon into 2 separate gallon containers and added more sea water and f2 after a day it crashed. I did my due diligence with sanitizing the containers and rigid airline so I am not sure what happened.
What Salinity are you culturing at? I think if you add salt water and it is a huge difference than where it is being cultured at, that can crash. For example, Top Shelf Aquatics lists their culture starters at 1.026. I culture at 1.023. I've found it works better at a slightly lower salinity.

OP
OP
C

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I increased the movement and works great, and adjust the f2 1.5 per litre and hyper green thanks

OP
OP
C

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your share some photos?, a thought some time that my culture crash it but, adjusting some issues like light, flow and more f2, get ir back again

krhagerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Salinity are you culturing at? I think if you add salt water and it is a huge difference than where it is being cultured at, that can crash. For example, Top Shelf Aquatics lists their culture starters at 1.026. I culture at 1.023. I've found it works better at a slightly lower salinity.
1.019 which is what they run theirs at from the information they sent me. I think I tried to get to much at one time so I am going to start smaller on this run.

krhagerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your share some photos?, a thought some time that my culture crash it but, adjusting some issues like light, flow and more f2, get ir back again
i have 4-3' grow led's above and am using a wire shelf system for the jars. i have good flow and I did a 1ml to lilter with the f2. I did add more f2 and waited but I could see the cells on the bottom of the jars. I have already cleaned out the other jars.

Attachments

• IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 37

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 4-3' grow led's above and am using a wire shelf system for the jars. i have good flow and I did a 1ml to lilter with the f2. I did add more f2 and waited but I could see the cells on the bottom of the jars. I have already cleaned out the other jars.
I would recommend that you move your lights to the side of your jars. Light does not really reach well coming in from the top, and it will expose your cultures to more light.

OP
OP
C

Crosaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend that you move your lights to the side of your jars. Light does not really reach well coming in from the top, and it will expose your cultures to more light.
I agree, I use a 30w full spectrum and works really well to the side and 1.022-23 salinity, 1.5 f2

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultured in my balcony, natural sun light, timer by mother nature, 14 oz of water in 1019 (aka as 1 cup + 1 tea cup), 2ml f2, 10 caps of whatever phyto is left and $1 usb air pump. Rain or shine.
The famous IDGF method.

it works.

20220917_180858.jpg

20230402_131545.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-153605_Facebook.jpg

Another example, now doing inside the closet, same starting parameters with a cheap s aliexpress led light on 24/7 literally glued to the glass.
Method is called "wife wants no more green stuff in the balcony".

20230708_203921.jpg

20230708_203907.jpg

20230708_203855.jpg
20230714_221729.jpg

Phytos are in general hardy, as long they have light, food / f2 and you are not too cheap in the initial addition of phyto they should thrive.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back