Phyto culture question

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tetraselmis phyto culture going, just a couple of days now, it has a massive amount of white debris in it, the debris pretty much floats to the bottom, the culture took 10 days to get to me by ups. I aslo put a little drop in heater into it to keep culture at 78degrees, dont know if this is a problem. thinking of trying to clean up the culture and start it over, it is pretty dark in color. what do yall think

Last edited:

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat a culture. My understanding is you dont want it to go brown. Not sure what the white debris could be. Can you remove it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefen

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat a culture. My understanding is you dont want it to go brown. Not sure what the white debris could be. Can you remove it?
going to let it settle, then siphon the clear stuff off, my room temp gets down to 65 degrees, thats why the little 10 watt aquarium heater for up to 1gallon fish tanks set to 78 degrees , has been keeping the temperature very steady

Upvote 0

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is dark, you take 80% out into another bottle and refrigerate. And saltwater to the remaining and fertilizer. Let that darken up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefen

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an article , that described what I think I have, there called ghost and it is dead phyto, but says there is still a chance for it to be ok, i had my lights on 24/7 and says photo period should be 16hrs and lights off 8 hrs. so i will try this, i will continue to update

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back