Phytoplankton culture water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thalia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Thalia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2026
Messages
134
Reaction score
84
Location
Eastern Fraser valley
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bin of mixed salt water that's a bit old. I checked it today and it has 2ppm nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia. Clearly some sort of biofilm has occurred. It is heated and has a powerhead in it. Can I use this to culture phyto or does it have to be fresh Ro/salt mix?
 
It should be fresh rodi saltwater mix and all tools should be sterilized. its important to keep the culture free from any contaminants.
This was my thinking, but I wasn't really sure. The nitrates and nitrites aren't a problem, but something is living in the water, and who knows if that will be incompatible with the phyto culture. Maybe not, but it is definitely a risk.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new