Phytoplankton culture

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just had a couple of questions about culturing phytoplankton. I purchased some cultures from aqua farms in the t. Isochrysis and nannochloropsis variety and after 3 weeks the green culture went from clear green to dark hunter green and I can't even see through it any more and the t.iso went from a light clear tinted yellow/gold to this dark solid brown color. My question is how do I know when I can add it to my tank and how much to add in milliliters. My total water volume is approximately 65 gallons. The purpose for doing this is was originally to feed a small tisbe pod culture as seen in the far right of the picture, but now I have so much of this stuff (2gallons) not exactly sure what to do with all of it. I was hoping to eventually get a mandarin so I was trying to get a large copepod population going before I got the Mandarin. The tank is about 1yr old and has about 70lbs live rock.
eaa60d27025e73c588c4d4b4fcb05c8f.jpg
3561f5305fd066f0807460e6fc967a2a.jpg

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Tisbe doesn't need alive algal to survive. It will start eating it when the algal is dead and decomposing. Your better off feeding pellets or flakes and let them consume it. Taking pods of cheato is a pain you can achieve the same with just congratulated slabs or just an empty jar. IMO.
But usually your culture reaches maturity at about 7+ days. It's good practice to have back up cultures incase of a crash. Hope that helps.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back