Phytoplankton Culturing

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so just wondering if my setup will work for culturing phyto? I have a pump with air lines into each controlled by valves. I have a decent led light.

These are .5 gallon jugs.

How much phyto to saltwater should I put in these to start the culture.
How often do I fertilize the culture? Just in the beginning and then leave it?

20220918_150903.jpg

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so just wondering if my setup will work for culturing phyto? I have a pump with air lines into each controlled by valves. I have a decent led light.

These are .5 gallon jugs.

How much phyto to saltwater should I put in these to start the culture.
How often do I fertilize the culture? Just in the beginning and then leave it?

20220918_150903.jpg
Yes this will work.

You can fill it up with saltwater, then tint the water a little bit. A little is enough.

If you use standard fertilizer you can measure nitrate etc in their water with normal test kits and refuel when it drops to 0. For me it was refuel once towards the end and got extreme dense culture.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this will work.

You can fill it up with saltwater, then tint the water a little bit. A little is enough.

If you use standard fertilizer you can measure nitrate etc in their water with normal test kits and refuel when it drops to 0. For me it was refuel once towards the end and got extreme dense culture.
I'm using fritz fertilizer. And sounds good, appreciate it!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using fritz fertilizer. And sounds good, appreciate it!
I see.

I used standard plant fertilizer from a garden center, vaguely same ingredients and worked out much cheaper, cultured zooplankton wiht phyto, no side effects were observed, everything thrived. After all both are photosynthetic stuff, so eat very similar. Only issue was diatoms/isochrysis, the silicate based ones.

Good idea to have a slight tint, then with your lights you should see it darkening in 24 or worst case 48 hrs.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.

I used standard plant fertilizer from a garden center, vaguely same ingredients and worked out much cheaper, cultured zooplankton wiht phyto, no side effects were observed, everything thrived. After all both are photosynthetic stuff, so eat very similar. Only issue was diatoms/isochrysis, the silicate based ones.

Good idea to have a slight tint, then with your lights you should see it darkening in 24 or worst case 48 hrs.
How long do I keep lights on for?

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I keep lights on for?
Mine went 0-24. I had a single household cool light LED bulb hanging into a similar box in the middle, phyto cultures closely around in a circle, walls covered in tinfoil to maximise reflected light as well.

But anything I say is not an advice, just my experience, follow it at your risk. And think of risks, for example you spill your phyto culture and your light can get soaked and burn down house. + I would move the air pump outside for similar reasons + to get fresh air. In an enclosed box think about humidity as well etc

1st be safe
2nd grow phyto

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eyeball it, never measured, I do 2 liters bottles of soda, I add 2ml of fertilizer and harvest after 7 days. I do not add anymore fertilizer unless I see the culture getting light but I have only done that once in the last year.

Make sure you clean your hands, clean everything with alcohol and then rinse with tap water, rigid tubing, the jars and lid before starting.

In 1 year I only lost 1 culture.

Good luck with your cultures.
20211007_101900.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eyeball it, never measured, I do 2 liters bottles of soda, I add 2ml of fertilizer and harvest after 7 days. I do not add anymore fertilizer unless I see the culture getting light but I have only done that once in the last year.

Make sure you clean your hands, clean everything with alcohol and then rinse with tap water, rigid tubing, the jars and lid before starting.

20211007_101900.jpg
Clean with what kind of alcohol? Will a good 14 year scotch do ?? Lol !!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Kidding !!!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20211007_101900.jpg
What type of alcohol? Isopropyl? Also, is cleaning with distilled vinegar fine?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found using a steripen instead of bleach preformed better. Not really sure why…

You add fertilizer ever time you split a culture, not just in the beginning. The amount of fertilizer you add is based on the overall volume (nsw + phyto culture). By the time you split a culture, the fertilizer should be fully depleted.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to steal the answer one last time, I just share this one about cleaning.

Theoretically you should clean stuff properly to avoid crosscontamination, or between batches or to avoid dropping a drop of roti into a phyto culture, but in practice its a pain so I gave up on that very fast, I washed my hands, rinsed bottles with hot water and had some simple rules that I always touch phyto cultures first and zoo second.

I crosscontaminated a culture more frequently - once or twice a month lets say, but could always restart it without big mess:

1st line of defense: I had at least three bottles going from each type, so could refill from another bottle

2nd: I got small, lighter 50ml starter cultures kept in fridge, replaced once a month or similar - for the case all bottle from a type got crosscontaminated

3rd: I tried the petri dish method to separate single species from mixed culture, then restart culture from that, it worked very well and to my amazement culture restarted from a single piece of algae - but never needed this in real life, only did it for fun

4th: You can buy a culture once again if none of the above works, its not a huge price to avoid dealing with disinfectants

But I had at least 15 bottles going, so maintenance was really painful, needed to make it simpler.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone filter their phtyo when harvesting? if so what micron rating media do you use? 100,50,25,10,5,1?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video you may find helpful in your journey.

Also, if you’re on Instagram I have made a breakdown series of videos on my procedure of culturing phytoplankton from beginning to end. You can find it under the videos tab. @doubleadeejay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back