Phytoplankton dosage, esp for gha fight?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I’m using Phytoplankton to try to combat gha and for general tank health. Im using Tommy’s Phyto Mix to start my own cultures. How much do I dose- I’ve heard everything from 3-10 ml per gal to 80 oz (thats 2000 ml). I have 250G TWV. Does it matter how dark green the sample is? Thanks!

image.jpg

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably about 60 ml or so for a couple weeks then you can ramp it up gradually and monitor results. That is what "they" suggest anyway.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open top cultures, especially from a blend, are doomed to fail. One will always outcompete the other and then boom crash. Also I don't know of any good guidelines for dosing as I just kinda guess and dump some in. Following for someone who has a better suggestion.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I’m using Phytoplankton to try to combat gha and for general tank health. Im using Tommy’s Phyto Mix to start my own cultures. How much do I dose- I’ve heard everything from 3-10 ml per gal to 80 oz (thats 2000 ml). I have 250G TWV. Does it matter how dark green the sample is? Thanks!

image.jpg
I put 15ml of algae barns phyto daily into about 100g of water. It’s probably a little low but I don’t have any noticeable isssues.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take all 200+ pounds of live rock out of my tank and scrub every single rock before returning to my tank. I’d already lost about 90% of my corals to it. The scrub down eliminated 98% of the Gha so I really couldn’t say one way or another. I think it’s a good idea to dose phyto regardless because it’s a building block of ocean nutrition but my tank is in such a shocked state after the scrub down, Coral losses, and restructuring of the rock that I really don’t know.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kinda jumping in here as I was researching my own questions and came across this thread. Where does everyone dose phyto? I can either do in the sump return chamber, in a dedicated refugium, or in the main display.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pour into the tank near a power head. Into the sump works just as well I guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back