Phytoplankton dosing and proper nitrate and phosphate levels

  • Thread starter Thread starter lesismore
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lesismore

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2024
Messages
257
Reaction score
229
Location
mesa
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

My 4.5 month old system with about 325-330 total gallons is moving along nicely.

I had fairly low levels of both nitrate and phosphate, but as time went by the numbers have risen a bit. I had also been dosing some phyto daily for about 2 months. About 8-9 days ago my nitrate was 5.1 and my phosphate was .19. Two days ago they rose to 7.4 and .25 respectively. I had not dosed phyto during this 8-9 day period.

I will start dosing phyto next week when my order arrives and will see if my nitrate/phos go down a bit as a result. My question is how many ounces or ml’s of phyto do you suggest I add daily and do you even encourage reefers to dose phyto in general? The source of my phyto suggested 100-115 ml’s per day to start.

On a similar note, what are the ideal nitrate and phosphate levels I should strive to maintain? It seems like higher levels are more acceptable than perhaps in the past.

It’s a mixed reef, albeit I don’t have much coral of any substance in there yet outside of a number of frags. I do have a lot of fish and all are doing well.

Lastly, whether it’s now or at some point in the future, what’s the best method to lower nitrates or phosphates? I do have a refugium with chaeto that’s doing ok. In the future, I had considered using tropic Marin elimi np, followed by bacto balance or possibly adding a very small amount of gfo when needed to my carbon reactor and skimming wetter to see if phosphate came down.

I enjoy learning from you and really appreciate your help and guidance on all of this.

Thank you for your help.

Les
 
Randy’s suggest levels and how to:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/randy’s-thoughts-on-nutrient-target-ranges.1087/
As far as phyto sorry I can't help with that.
This was incredibly helpful. Thank you!

It’s refreshing to learn that I really don’t need to chase some set of ideals, but rather just try to maintain my N and P within a fairly reasonable range. The tools to adjust each are definitely handy as well.

I’m sitting enjoying my tank and happy to be armed with some great info. As for the phyto, I’d enjoy hearing thoughts, but maybe this is yet another area I need to try slowly and monitor the effects, positive or negative, on my specific tank.

Have a great weekend and thanks again!!
 
FWIW when I started dosing PhytoPheast my acros started doing really well. I was dosing it pretty heavily as well and I still am.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new