Phytoplankton or zooplankton

Alfredomeinhardt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
198
Reaction score
45
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.
Why is the difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton and which one you use when.
do they have any effect on phosphate??
I’ve used the phytoplankton on my LPS tank but was wondering whether I should use zooplankton as well
 
Phytoplankton and zooplankton are two different types of plankton. Phyto meaning light, and zoo meaning animal, are used to describe the type of plankton.
Phytoplankton = plant life
Zooplankton = tiny crustaceans

You can find a much better explanation on the internet lol.

I use both. Reef Nutrition live phyto, and Reef Roids / Reef Chilli.

I think there’s a good chance your Lps reef will benefit from zooplankton.
 
Live phytoplankton apparently can help drop your PO4, dead can raise it.
 
Zooplankton = tiny crustaceans
The zooplankton are animals that cannot fight the current, so they are not limited to crustaceans. With this definition, even the massive Lion’s mane jellyfish (Cyanea capillata) counts as a member of the zooplankton.
 
I have a question.
Why is the difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton and which one you use when.
do they have any effect on phosphate??
I’ve used the phytoplankton on my LPS tank but was wondering whether I should use zooplankton as well


Corals typically feed on zooplankton, but phytoplankton feeds zooplankton, scallaps, feather dusters, clams, copepods, etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new