Picky Puffer?

asingleton527

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here- I've got a roughly 6" dogface puffer in my tank. Anyone else deal with a picky puffer?? He only wants to eat clams on a halfshell. I've tried shrimp, krill (he turns his dogface nose up at that) and even Rod's Food Predator Blend. He will nibble a bit on the Rod's, but ultimately throws a little fit swimming up and down the tank attempting to spit water, etc. until he is given clams. Any advice?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own food with the largest of the clams, krill, nori and table shrimp. Valentini puffer here but if he will eat other food he likely will not starve himself to death if you don't give him clams.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the threads on here say try for live food (Feeder Fish, Ghost Shrimp and Small Crabs) and freeze dried krill (large variety)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got one too, he may be a bit bigger than yours, I've had him 6-7 year,s and he's still a picky spoiled brat. Do you cut up the shrimp into bite size chunks. This is what I do, I guess he has me trained. He will eat shrimp sometimes, silversides, scallop and what other seafood you can chunk. I pierce the chunks with a feeding stick and serve the little bugger. So try a feeding stick and pierce the Rod's chunks and see if he will take it take way. I also take Ocean Nutrition formula one and barely defrost it just enough to cut the cubes into smaller bite size chunks, I drop those in and he actually loves those maybe the most. Mine is so lazy if he misses something he won't even chase it down, Sometimes I get mad and just drop the food in and say "you eat, you eat, you don't, you don't". Oh there;s also scallop on the half shell, which he loves. He will also eat PE mysis. But yeah he makes me mad sometimes.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha, I never thought to ask this same question!!!!! I guess it is a trait of the dog face. I have had three, plus two porcupine all of them ate anything I put in the tank, then comes this one!

This is the laziest fish I have ever owned, just puffs up enough to stay put in the rocks and only eats pellets. Hikari massivore delite. 3 pellets twice a day.

My entire tank is nothing but picky eaters! My eels refuse to eat anything but lobster, not surprising, but the trigger love my cleaning crews....the majority of my cost is cleaning crew replacement!!!

Attachments

• Puff.jpg
    Puff.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 58
  • 200 gl FOWLR.mp4
    18 MB

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here- I've got a roughly 6" dogface puffer in my tank. Anyone else deal with a picky puffer?? He only wants to eat clams on a halfshell. I've tried shrimp, krill (he turns his dogface nose up at that) and even Rod's Food Predator Blend. He will nibble a bit on the Rod's, but ultimately throws a little fit swimming up and down the tank attempting to spit water, etc. until he is given clams. Any advice?
mine loves his clams but also will eat nori from clip and big junks of LRS he dont really care about smaller size pieces

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re lucky he eats clams! Some get hooked on nothing but krill and that’s harmful for puffers in the long run

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer will eat most meaty foods but prefers live inverts. He will not touch a silverside. But drop in a crawfish or fidler crabs. He destroys them in seconds and looks at me for more. His dinner always costs more than mine. LOL

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a super picky Golden Puffer. I have tried everything possible and finally found a food he likes. Try Hikari's Jumbo Mysis frozen food!

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog face puffer super picky to he won't eat nothing and I mean nothing except for TDO chrome boost pellets.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back