Pico 20G from North Carolina.

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, everything is in place now. Still need to figure out how to attach MP10 to WXM module and get the Wi-Fi adaptor. I like the result ! ;)

Apex_Setup.jpg
That is awesome!

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, after few days salinity by Apex prob in the tank is 34 - 34.5 will keep and it's 37 according to the calibrated refractometer and according to a digital refractometer. Now time to wait and see changes, I hope good changes! Also stopped dosing Red Sea NO3 : PO4-X Nitrate & Phosphate Reducer after reading @Battlecorals post. Happy Holidays everyone. ;)

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust the Salinity probe, there are too many variables. Apex monitoring is ONLY for redundancy, and it should NEVER be your first source of information. A calibrated refractometer is the best way to measure salinity. My probe measures 34.2-34.8 daily.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Hope you get it working. One more note of caution if you plan to connect by a wireless adapter: if you ever need to do Apex firmware updates, it is recommended to use a wired Ethernet connection and not wireless.
I don't use Wireless connection for my Apexes, instead use Netgear power line AV DHP-309AV for connection which uses your house electrical wiring to connect directly to your modem. Updates are no problem with this.

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refractometer always measures 35 when i calibrate and when i mix new salt, always. My salinity probe used to exclusively read 33.5. The only reason I use it is for swings, if I suddenly see an increase or decrease in reading, it'll tell me something is wrong(probably an ATO issue).

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. We will see, I trust Nanotopia experience as well, that I linked before. :)
I just read his claim. While I don't agree, it is well written. One persons anecdotal evidence of what may appear to be coloration on the tips of some hard coral is hardly enough to convince me that my refractometer is less accurate than my conductivity probe, which is influenced by a huge range of variables in the first place. Even if your conductivity probe wire is too close to other power cables or ballasts, it'll throw off your reading. Like I said, Neptune Systems can be quoted saying, "The monitoring probes should be used for redundancy only". If you set complex programming around your salinity measurements from your probe, even the smallest air bubble could send your tank into a downward spiral. IMO you should try and match NSW, and try to elimiate variables by taking measurements from PROPERLY calibrated conductivity probes and refrectometers. Heck, even a hydrometer if you wanted to hit all three.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's a very experienced reefer also. But I understand your point too. I'm not sure as well ....

Last edited:

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a third test method you would likely get a third result. If you're going to rely solely on the Apex probe, make sure to keep it clean. On my Apex conductivity lab grade probe, I have seen the readings increase over time so now I make sure to clean it on a monthly basis and my readings are very stable but I don't use it to set my salinity. I use it as a monitor only, my ATO will shut off and alert me if it goes below a specific point. I purchased a Milwaukee Refractometer some time ago but I don't trust it, I'm still old school using a hydrometer.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals are here whoooohoooo!!! Very nice packaging, stickers and freebies ! Awesome, thanks a lot. :) Some opened 5 mins. after I've added them to the system. Damaged a little the birds nest but nothing critical! Very happy with that pack.
Photos taken on early morning so colors are slightly purple but this is how they looks like in that period of the day.

Blaze orange
Miyagi tort
Rasberry sherbert
The BPG
SunnyX sunset
Fosters purple polyp

BC_Pack.jpg

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For two weeks now my refractometer showing 37 ppm and Apex salinity probe 34.7 - 34.9 ppm. Corals are happy, colors changed for some of them and really a lot of caroline started to show up everywhere, like really a lot of caroline ! At this moment only positive changes. Also from now I'm using Tropic Marin Sea Salt, regular one and doing daily 1g water changes.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity spike didn't affected the corals, back to 9.0 in two days with no issue. Nice! :)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the light today with the Apogee 200 series, now thinking ... do I need 100% intensity or it's ok at 75% or less. :)

PAR.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 91 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 92 45.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.9%
Back