Pico Reef Tank Build Thread - Lifegard 3.8

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Yukihalu heater has failed already.

I noticed this evening that the temp on the controller was showing about 75. I dipped the temp sensor of my Inkbird in the tank and it was 85 :oops: Unplugging the heater and plugging it back in again appeared to reset the temp indications but then it rapidly shot up to 85 (tank temp was now down to about 80).

Amazon was pretty useless; they wouldn't refund the purchase as it was past the 'return window'. They are sending me a replacement but I'm not sure I want to use it.

It was something that I was worried about with this cheap heater, and it appears that I was right to be concerned.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yukihalu heater has failed already.

I noticed this evening that the temp on the controller was showing about 75. I dipped the temp sensor of my Inkbird in the tank and it was 85 :oops: Unplugging the heater and plugging it back in again appeared to reset the temp indications but then it rapidly shot up to 85 (tank temp was now down to about 80).

Amazon was pretty useless; they wouldn't refund the purchase as it was past the 'return window'. They are sending me a replacement but I'm not sure I want to use it.

It was something that I was worried about with this cheap heater, and it appears that I was right to be concerned.
Heaters are never a piece of equipment to cheap out on, they really are one of the most important pieces of life support for a reef tank.

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago the flow back into the rear chamber got blocked and this resulted in water not getting back to the chamber with the pump and the ato until the ato had pumped in enough rodi water into the main chamber to overtop the back of the return chamber. Nothing flooded out of the aquarium, but the salinity dropped to 28 (from 35). I was out most of that week so by the time I noticed it on Thursday it was unfortunately too late for my little mobile inverts and the tiny gobies I had and they didn’t make it. After a 90% water change things were back to being good and surprisingly I only lost like one of the rock flower anemones. The rest of the coral and rfas are looking great again. Will probably restock again soon since it’s been a few wild and everything is stable again.

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the only mobile creatures are my tiny ORA blue tuxedo urchin (who does a great job keeping algae at bay) and some nassarius snails who clean up the sand bed.

4CACABF1-79CC-4C0E-B912-0F37876E8E6F.jpeg
31FB4A12-B38C-4823-81A9-95ABEA6DA648.jpeg
D76EBF16-91AE-4953-897D-99F993EBA2A9.jpeg

OP
OP
kiswanson

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an Eheim everyday Fish feeder automatic feeder so Shakes the clown goby will get food consistently everyday, even the weekends when I’m not around. Bulky for a small tank, but seems to work fine and the smallest dose it provides it just right for a tiny lightly stocked tank.

6AA64B19-D8D2-4569-9F77-F90E2C5C95CB.jpeg

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an Eheim everyday Fish feeder automatic feeder so Shakes the clown goby will get food consistently everyday, even the weekends when I’m not around. Bulky for a small tank, but seems to work fine and the smallest dose it provides it just right for a tiny lightly stocked tank.

6AA64B19-D8D2-4569-9F77-F90E2C5C95CB.jpeg
is your goby on flake/pellet?

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really has been an awesome project and I look at it more often then my e170 at home

Putting a tank in direct view of where you spend a lot of time is crazy important but almost no one talks about it. I have mostly freshwater tanks at my home. The tank I love the most is the one that's closest to my desk in my home office even though its less then half the size of my 'big' tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back