Pictures sell! But what keeps someone coming back for more????

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, a nice pic will sell some acro, lps or whatever.
But what is it that keeps someone coming back for more?????
Two biggest things come to mind.
Communication. Especially after the sale. And honesty.
It's one thing to see that pretty coral and say I want that, order it up, receive it.
Then ugh. It doesn't quite look as good.
Contact the seller, then you find out it's a finicky coral. Doesn't like it's environment changed.
Hmmmm. Why don't you say that in the listing?
Yeah, it's about the sale and the $'s
I wonder how many people get corals that don't make it and wonder what they are doing wrong????
Confusing time to be in this hobby!
Most sites sell corals with just a name. No description about what type of coral, etc etc.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. I’ve ordered from multiple vendors and you find the ones who are honest and help with issues if the coral does show up with a problem.

I sell frags and I try to take care of people how I would want to be taken care of. It drives me crazy ordering from people who won’t cover any fedex delays and puts it on the buyer. Why is it the buyers fault the order was delayed? It never makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. I’ve ordered from multiple vendors and you find the ones who are honest and help with issues if the coral does show up with a problem.

I sell frags and I try to take care of people how I would want to be taken care of. It drives me crazy ordering from people who won’t cover any fedex delays and puts it on the buyer. Why is it the buyers fault the order was delayed? It never makes sense to me.
Shipping is tough! The ones that ship a lot have some pull with the shipping companies. They can get refunds and such. The average guy can't. More of a reason to go with someone that does this and cares.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve myself have purchased some frags and they are never as beautiful and blue as in the photo . blue acropora is always purple for me. I have LEDs and can change light spectrum and still not beautiful blue.
I’m thinking of Oregon or California tort but I hesitate because I’m afraid I’ll just get another purple acro . Bummer

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience every time I’ve purchased from a vendor online “ only 2 from R2R” I’ve been a little disappointed in the size and the color difference. Most times they tell you the size but still it always seems smaller then it should. However, when I’ve purchased on the R2R livestock forum I’ve have always been pleased with the sizes and prices from the people I have purchased from. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I seem to get more for less from the individuals off the livestock forum.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience every time I’ve purchased from a vendor online “ only 2 from R2R” I’ve been a little disappointed in the size and the color difference. Most times they tell you the size but still it always seems smaller then it should. However, when I’ve purchased on the R2R livestock forum I’ve have always been pleased with the sizes and prices from the people I have purchased from. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I seem to get more for less from the individuals off the livestock forum.
I have purchased from a sponsor of this board and was pleased with size , color ehh

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What keeps me coming back is a constant supply of new acropora. I don’t care if it’s high end. I love this hobby and love bread and butter mariculture along with the super rare. I buy stuff for the species, growth form and color is the last on my list. Most corals look great once they form a colony anyways.
When I vendor is bringing in new boxes of acros each week I end up buying from them. When they stop, I stop being interested in their site and quit looking.
It’s tough with the only place right now opened being Aussie corals and most vendors can’t make as much off them so many have stopped buying anything new at all.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What keeps me coming back is a constant supply of new acropora. I don’t care if it’s high end. I love this hobby and love bread and butter mariculture along with the super rare. I buy stuff for the species, growth form and color is the last on my list. Most corals look great once they form a colony anyways.
When I vendor is bringing in new boxes of acros each week I end up buying from them. When they stop, I stop being interested in their site and quit looking.
It’s tough with the only place right now opened being Aussie corals and most vendors can’t make as much off them so many have stopped buying anything new at all.
And how is that working out for you? I'm finding out most maricultured acros tend to take a while to acclimate. That is, if they make it at all. I tend to stay away from Aussies for that reason. Do t get me wrong, I'd love to find a nice one and see it do well. I bought one from a local fish store about a year ago. It browned out on me and it's just coming around now. Very slowly!

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newby to this stuff...what keeps me coming back is info.....I ask questions...lots of them...if you show me that you have time to answer and help me out I will return time and time again
Yes! Keep asking and learning. That there is my point! Don't just sell to make the $. Sell to make a customer.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a reason I asked this question. I have my own business. Nothing to do with reef tanks. I do boat repair. My strong point is talking with the customer, making sure I take care of their needs, maybe pointing out something they don't think they need. Not for the extra money or work. But to make sure they don't have a problem down the road ruining their weekend. Communication is key!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont buy corals online, only local. I want to see what I am buying first hand not a pic that can be edited or not even of the coral you will recieve, I want to inspect for health and pests as well as see the system the coral is coming out of. A lot of what i have been buying has been aquaculture or fragged up Aussie sps that has healed and encrusted. Lots of luck with the Aussie frags lately from a LFS but supply has really slowed down the last few months. Healthy, colorful and variety of sps frags is what will keep me coming back.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how is that working out for you? I'm finding out most maricultured acros tend to take a while to acclimate. That is, if they make it at all. I tend to stay away from Aussies for that reason. Do t get me wrong, I'd love to find a nice one and see it do well. I bought one from a local fish store about a year ago. It browned out on me and it's just coming around now. Very slowly!

It’s working out great. I have been doing it for a long time, and it’s how I collect all my coral minus a few pieces from trades. How are you finding maricultures take a long time to acclimate? Maricultures do great and most grow just as fast as a tank grown coral, but if one gets stressed too much from shipping it might take a while, there is always one in a box that does that. I have never had luck buying from fish stores unless I had seen it there to know it was healthy and not going downhill or stalled out. Most of the time by the time fish stores get their acros it’s been shipped and tanked multiples of times and the coral is too stressed. And to a lot of people it’s hard to tell when a coral is too stressed. Also fish stores typically don’t have the correct tanks to be housing wild or Mari stuff. They key is to order a box of acros yourself and pick them up from the airport, then treat them the right way. Which is toss them under preferably heavy halide or light and good flow in a very stable tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back