Pilots with reef tanks!

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Im pondering the idea of a career change to become a pilot. I have a bunch of friends that do it and the pay and work-life balance is unbeatable. The only problem is I love aquariums and have had reef tanks for years, and am afraid that the scheduling would make it hard to keep the tank looking good. I know there are ways around it, but I'd love to see some tanks that y'all have where your gone a lot of the time. Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your working on your ATP cert and then the regional air life & reserve life once you go mainline you already know life is a grind as you have friends in the industry. Once you have seniority, tank automation is your friend while your working a sequence.

I'm in the industry (under wing) and usually travel 10-14 days @ a time about 6-10 times a year.

FLPilot3190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fly the A320 for a US carrier. Currently based in JFK but commute from Tampa. I voluntarily bid reserve so I can sit at home and get paid. Since October 1st I’ve worked 8 days and spent 7 nights either in my crash pad or in a hotel.

The biggest hurdle with having a tank as a pilot will be when you spend 6+ weeks at the training center as a new hire. Aside from that, if you’re doing the standard 1-4 day trips then maintaining a tank is rather simple. Automation is your friend. Automate everything you can and everything should run smoothly. The only task my wife has to complete while I’m gone on a trip is to feed the fish.

Feel free to pm with any airline/flight training questions!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fly the A320 for a US carrier. Currently based in JFK but commute from Tampa. I voluntarily bid reserve so I can sit at home and get paid. Since October 1st I’ve worked 8 days and spent 7 nights either in my crash pad or in a hotel.

The biggest hurdle with having a tank as a pilot will be when you spend 6+ weeks at the training center as a new hire. Aside from that, if you’re doing the standard 1-4 day trips then maintaining a tank is rather simple. Automation is your friend. Automate everything you can and everything should run smoothly. The only task my wife has to complete while I’m gone on a trip is to feed the fish.

Feel free to pm with any airline/flight training questions!
This.

@FLPilot3190, JFK base & 320 driver screams B6?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re good! MCO would be a better commute for me but my seniority would tank… so I’ll continue to stick it out in JFK. positive space to/from work helps a ton though!
Between uncle sam and a few (some non existent) airlines, I've been in the civilian side of biz for 25 years and just over 30 total.

I'm a acmx instructor for a legacy carrier, I have stick time but no ATP cert.

Crazy that JFK isn't a 'high' seniority station (ours is due to legacy long haul), but that cheap FL COL makes sense that MCO is high seniority.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is an extremely low maintenance tank. By design it is high nutrient to feed the soft coral, some LPS and predominantly macroalgae. I did a huge motorcycle trip, (23 days) where I had a flake auto feeder that gave the fish food once a day. I did have the tank given frozen food 2Xs a week by family members and add water to the 1 gallon auto top off reservoir. Its not a tank for everyone but I love it.
IMG_20231107_151504743.jpg
IMG_20231107_151515671.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back