Pincushion urchin question

mamaJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m about to get this beautiful yellow and purple pincushion urchin. He’s been brought in to my local aquarium shop for me from someone who can’t keep him. He’s been in quarantine and I also left him there a few days to rest before I move him yet again to his new home. The two times I saw him there this past week he has had NOTHING on him like shells or snails or anything. He hasn’t, to my knowledge, collected anything since coming in to the place even though there’s plenty for him to pick up. Is that ok? Is it *normal* for this type of urchin to just not pick up stuff? He’s beautiful and looks otherwise healthy as far as I can tell but I don’t know if I should be concerned about his lack of collecting. I’m afraid to get him and put him into my tank if he’s not doing well.

FE10B94F-CF8B-4C93-A972-00C04FBE74DA.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collection of shells is likely a defensive habit. Mine sometimes have things and other times dont. I wouldn't be concerned. Feed it some algae wafers.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd wait a bit, then go back and look if it's still there. Mine picked up debris after only a few hours and loaded it's spines with lots of stuff. I lost a worm feeder too that was blown behind some rock and whalla, the urchin showed up with the cone on it's back side-yikes! If they aren't picking up stuff it may be a sign that they are stressed.

they are cool when they cruise around loaded with debris, but beware that they can bulldose fresh glued frags. i had a 4 frag shipment and that sucker ran them over during the night and i lost a frag that was knocked over into a stylo and got stung beyond revival. probably my fault for not securing them better.

OP
OP
mamaJ

mamaJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collection of shells is likely a defensive habit. Mine sometimes have things and other times dont. I wouldn't be concerned. Feed it some algae wafers.
Fantastic! Thank you for the reply.

OP
OP
mamaJ

mamaJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd wait a bit, then go back and look if it's still there. Mine picked up debris after only a few hours and loaded it's spines with lots of stuff. I lost a worm feeder too that was blown behind some rock and whalla, the urchin showed up with the cone on it's back side-yikes! If they aren't picking up stuff it may be a sign that they are stressed.

they are cool when they cruise around loaded with debris, but beware that they can bulldose fresh glued frags. i had a 4 frag shipment and that sucker ran them over during the night and i lost a frag that was knocked over into a stylo and got stung beyond revival. probably my fault for not securing them better.
That’s what I was worried about, that he might be stressed. I feel badly for him. If he comes to live in my tank he will live well; I feed them good food and supplement with nori. They seem to be comfortable in the environment we set up for them. I would do my best to give him a good home. But if he’s stressed or sick I don’t want to spend a lot of $$ on him to just watch him decline because that would be awful. I’m hoping he’s ok.
I do love that they carry stuff. Ours somehow managed to pull the small tank thermometer off the glass and was carrying it around. Currently my little one is COVERED in teeny, tiny shells and rocks. The slightly larger one is “wearing” bits of sea glass and some urchin hats lol. The way they carry so much stuff makes me wonder why the other guy *isn’t* carrying anything. I really like him and would like to give him a good home. I hope he’s alright.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back