Pincushion urchin size

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
For those who have pincushion urchins (Lytechinus variegatus), how big have they gotten in your systems and how long did it take to get there? The website states they can get up to 8", which will be too big for my reefer 350 (81g DT), but I have seen them in DTs way smaller than the one I have.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get large. Takes a long time though. Of the 6 permanent pincushions I have, 3 are on the small side about an inch and a half and have only grown a little bit in a couple years with no supplemental feeding. The others were a bit bigger when I got them and I feed nori twice weekly, these grew quickly and now look like this.

20200101_174351.jpg

They are fairly long lived and will grow slowly if you get small ones and allow them to graze so long as they won't starve.

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get large. Takes a long time though. Of the 6 permanent pincushions I have, 3 are on the small side about an inch and a half and have only grown a little bit in a couple years with no supplemental feeding. The others were a bit bigger when I got them and I feed nori twice weekly, these grew quickly and now look like this.

20200101_174351.jpg

They are fairly long lived and will grow slowly if you get small ones and allow them to graze so long as they won't starve.

Thanks!! I read some concerns regarding urchins eating the silicone glue from the glass panels. Any concerns about that?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I read some concerns regarding urchins eating the silicone glue from the glass panels. Any concerns about that?
Certain urchins do, but I dont believe the species you have are known for it.
In general though, I find that if there's only one urchin and no fish to bother it (many fish snack on urchins soft tentacle arms) then they will grow fast. If you keep more than one the competition will slow them down.
If they have plenty of rubble to protect themselves they will also work much faster.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Are the pincushions the desired urchin for algae removal?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 127 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back