Pineapple sponges getting out of hand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any way to get rid of pineapple sponges? They’re growing in between my zoas and look to be causing issues for them. Any thoughts?
Often silicates are cause. Can be from new rock, new sand, from tap water if used and expired or leaking Di Resin cartridges.
These are short lived and will dissipate as silicates reduce. You can peel them off with the edge of a credit card into a net if they are too many
They are not harmful and cherish algae if they get any. To reduce, assure you are not using tap water and maintain a clean sandbed. Also assure your rodi cartridges if you are using unit are not dirty or expired

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to get rid of pineapple sponges? They’re growing in between my zoas and look to be causing issues for them. Any thoughts?
You can do a hydrogen peroxide dip. They should go away on their own soon though.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo? Are you positive they're pineapples?
My lights just went off but yes they’re pineapples. They’re in the sump in one of my tanks and in between my zoas in a separate tank. I don’t have any in my big tank, only a couple in the sump) and I’m using the same source of water for all of them so it’s hard to understand why they are in one location versus another!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often silicates are cause. Can be from new rock, new sand, from tap water if used and expired or leaking Di Resin cartridges.
These are short lived and will dissipate as silicates reduce. You can peel them off with the edge of a credit card into a net if they are too many
They are not harmful and cherish algae if they get any. To reduce, assure you are not using tap water and maintain a clean sandbed. Also assure your rodi cartridges if you are using unit are not dirty or expired
Thanks for the recommendations. Will check my RODI unit. Probably time to switch out resin. Just hard to know because I use the same RODI source for all my tanks and this si only in a single tank and in another’s sump but not in the others. I wonder if they came in on the zoa rock and then spread. Will look into the water though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. Will check my RODI unit. Probably time to switch out resin. Just hard to know because I use the same RODI source for all my tanks and this si only in a single tank and in another’s sump but not in the others. I wonder if they came in on the zoa rock and then spread. Will look into the water though.
They appear in areas where its low light and water flow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back