Pink Aiptasia or Other Anemone?

adkquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

we have had an overgrowth of the pink aiptasia's (for which we got some peppermint shrimp to abolish), but when changing the filter cartridge we noticed a different colored anemone looking organism that doesn't look like the aiptasia's in the rest of the tank. We do have another anemone that our clowns live in, and im wondering if they are just baby anemones and not the nuisance aiptasias - but we can't be sure. Any ideas based on the pics below (first one is when its out of water, second is when it is in water and you can see the white ones starting to open up? The pink that covers most of the cartridge is what I believe are the aiptasias but the whiteish larger organisms towards the top look different. Any thoughts on whether this is the same anemone as the large one we have in our tank which has the same color as these (where the clownfish live), or whether its just a different color aiptasia? I've just never seen the aiptasia's be that white before with that thick base. Any advice would be appreciated - I don't want to throw away this cartridge if there are anemones on it! thanks!
IMG_2373.jpg
IMG_2381.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 8.58.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 8.47.06 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For sure aptasia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back