Pink Bar Goby Question

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I recently acquired a Pink Bar Goby from my LFS who quarantined him for over a month and had has him eating like a piggy. He has been in my tank doing well for over a week now. Actually my first fish after ICH or Velvet wiped out a few of my fish; some almost 12 years old. I did let my tank go without fish for about 3 months!!
ANyway.... my question is do these gobies burrow? he kinda just hangs out in the from of my tank waiting to be fed...LOL... I wanted to get him/her a pistol shrimp but wont do it if he doesnt burrow. I have 3 inches of fine sand for him too.... SHould I get the pistol shrimp anyway and see if the hook up? I am very happy with my PBG either way but wanted to observe the symbiotic relationship.... thanks for reading!

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't see why not. i miss my goby he had a weird personality and so predicable for example he get out of his burrow almost exact same time everyday for sand shifting or cleaning n if coral get bury under the sand he just unbury the corals which i think it awesome

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Gobies, Except when they do the opposite of what "dorky" said.. and Bury the Frags! I love watching those 2 work together, Its a rare type of Different Species Relationship!! Congrats on the Pick Up and if I were you I would try to find a Pistol Shrimp for him.

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone! I will definitely find a shrimp and I will post pics. Again though the goby himself just hangs out on the sand havent seen him burrow. But I am encouraged by all of you to still go ahead and get a little pistol shrimp pal....

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Goby will not do the burrowing. The shrimp builds the home and the Goby will take up residence :) In return for a home the Goby will protect & feed the almost totally blind shrimp. What a awesome relationship! Here's my 4yr old Randall's Pistol shrimp. Atm he's single...
ehudeveq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwww Sweet pic. I just got the same pistol shrimp and as I write this I am drip acclimating it!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwww Sweet pic. I just got the same pistol shrimp and as I write this I am drip acclimating it!

Congratulations!! Very cool lil creatures for sure! Since my lil guy has no buddy I do target feed him as he doesn't venture out very far. Good luck with yours and keep us posted on your success!

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update!! THey literally immediately paired off!! within an hour the shrimp made burrows under the main rockwork in the middle of my tank and they are hanging out. I fed the goby and the little shrimp came bulldozing out with the goby. AMAZING!! I am so thrilled. WIll upload a pic tomorrow when I feed.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update!! THey literally immediately paired off!! within an hour the shrimp made burrows under the main rockwork in the middle of my tank and they are hanging out. I fed the goby and the little shrimp came bulldozing out with the goby. AMAZING!! I am so thrilled. WIll upload a pic tomorrow when I feed.

This is totally awesome to read!! Thanks for sharing your joy! Put a smile on my face for sure :) Look forward to some pics! Enjoy!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back