Pink Hiatin Anemone Problem

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldn’t use that water. I used it when I first started in reefing to. It’s really low salinity and inconsistent parameters. It also has nitrate, phosphate, silicate, all things you DO NOT want in new clean water change water. That stuff destroyed my biocube and killed so many fish and coral. So upset I followed advice saying that boxed water was good. Also you have to use the entire thing once you open it or it will be full of harmful bacteria the next time you go to use it. Trust me from first had experience and almost a thousand dollars wasted on that water... a thousand more for the coral and fish it had killed. Buy RODI from a reef store, make your own sw. I lived in PA for a decade, they are everywhere.

Nursery water also has trace nitrate and phosphates, you MUST use RODI for top off or it will be a never-ending losing battle. That sand is silicate based as well, not aragonite so it will not be of any benefit to help colonize beneficial bacteria and life. It will also give you some nastyyyyy diatoms for several months. You will need even more additional live rock due to the substrate type you have chosen. Just a heads up to be expecting that. Glad your nem looks happier this afternoon!

OP
OP
B

Brittany8808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading this post and if there wasn’t any rock in the tank besides this one that was gotten with the anemone then would the tank still be cycled because there wasn’t anywhere for the bacteria to establish except for the sand? Or is the one live rock enough to help the tank continue to cycle?
You really shouldn’t use that water. I used it when I first started in reefing to. It’s really low salinity and inconsistent parameters. It also has nitrate, phosphate, silicate, all things you DO NOT want in new clean water change water. That stuff destroyed my biocube and killed so many fish and coral. So upset I followed advice saying that boxed water was good. Also you have to use the entire thing once you open it or it will be full of harmful bacteria the next time you go to use it. Trust me from first had experience and almost a thousand dollars wasted on that water... a thousand more for the coral and fish it had killed. Buy RODI from a reef store, make your own sw. I lived in PA for a decade, they are everywhere.
I will have to look into that but my salinity is perfect where it should be since I only have a 14 gallon tank.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look into that but my salinity is perfect where it should be since I only have a 14 gallon tank.
You’re using a hydrometer which aren’t perfect and 1.023 is the bare minimum for survivability corals/nems can do. I don’t actually know anyone that runs theirs lower than 1.025.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be blunt you clearly have no idea what you're doing.

Theres 1 hermit crab painted shell in the tank, and who knows if theres anymore.

The sand you're using looks like the completely wrong.

I feel bad for that 1 fish and you're anemone. Please do some research before getting into this hobby, these are living animals not toys. From what I see I can imagine the suffering these animals are enduring.
Hello...couldn’t you have phrased your thoughts in a better way without attacking this person. Maybe this person listened to someone at a LFS and we know a lot of them don’t give substantial advice about sw. they are few and far between.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...couldn’t you have phrased your thoughts in a better way without attacking this person. Maybe this person listened to someone at a LFS and we know a lot of them don’t give substantial advice about sw. they are few and far between.
No reason to beat this poster up. HotRocks already addressed it.

Edit Sorry that came of harsh. I understand your frustration. I had the same thoughts. I should have realized this was posted with out reading four pages in. Thats my fault. Good looking out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brittany8808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep how the nem today
Just fully waking up and starting to sprawl out

15664812628352435596276100183047.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, but that's why the bacteria colonization and CUC (clean up crew) are important. You kinda set up your tank backwards. That stuff should have come before fish.

Back