Pink, Purple and white rock together

Lareng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m going to setup my first reef tank and have during the last year bought different equipment and now it’s time to get it all together. My 90g tank will be here next week and I’m starting to think about the rocks.. I realized I got white, pink AND purple rocks, omg.. will they eventually turn the same color at some time when the coralline algae cover them or should I get all rocks of the same type to get the best possible result?

If I’ll go for a mix of the rocks, How long time until they all look the same? If they ever will?

A312450A-3259-4792-9041-A505B71AA3D1.jpeg

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m going to setup my first reef tank and have during the last year bought different equipment and now it’s time to get it all together. My 90g tank will be here next week and I’m starting to think about the rocks.. I realized I got white, pink AND purple rocks, omg.. will they eventually turn the same color at some time when the coralline algae cover them or should I get all rocks of the same type to get the best possible result?

If I’ll go for a mix of the rocks, How long time until they all look the same? If they ever will?

Not overnight and not in a month. It’ll happen though, there’s nothing wrong here. Just some variety of rock. #happyreefing

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At least 6+ months before they typically get covered. From dry rock probably closer to a year+.

Can be done faster if you have the right conditions and get it introduced early on and allow it to thrive.

One day they will look the same, up to you if you want to wait or not.

OP
OP
L

Lareng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, then I understand how this works. I’ll use the rocks that fits in the aquascpe the best and don’t really care if they look white or purple.
Thanks

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the same 12 months ago and it all looks pretty much the same now. I'll post some photos later when the lights are on.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left is marco rock, the right is real life rock (purple) on marco base rock.

This is a tank I set up April last year and you can't really see the difference

IMG_2898.jpeg

Originally.

IMG_2104.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lareng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice tank. Clean and not too much rock so corals can take the space in the coming years. You have some nice corals already and I love the fox face. Thanks for sharing the pictures, cool to see the rocks before and after one year.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back