Pink snot all over sump

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink slime on my power heads and everywhere in my sump. My carbon/gfo reactor was completely clogged and my skimmer is making super thick skimmate that is coming out of the holes in the collection cup. It looks like it’s out if Ghostbusters 2. Im guessing its bacterial. It did treat my canary blenny with neoplex soaked food for 5 days. I ran heavy on carbon and did a 40% water change after treatment.
Is this a massive bacterial bounce back? I’m dosing some microbacter clean but nothing has changed so far.
Think of the movie poltergeist when they brought the little girl back. It’s really nasty.

Any treatment ideas?

Alk is 9.5
Magi is 1370
Cal is 380
Ph 8.1-8.3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a pink slime on my power heads and everywhere in my sump. My carbon/gfo reactor was completely clogged and my skimmer is making super thick skimmate that is coming out of the holes in the collection cup. It looks like it’s out if Ghostbusters 2. Im guessing its bacterial. It did treat my canary blenny with neoplex soaked food for 5 days. I ran heavy on carbon and did a 40% water change after treatment.
Is this a massive bacterial bounce back? I’m dosing some microbacter clean but nothing has changed so far.
Think of the movie poltergeist when they brought the little girl back. It’s really nasty.

Any treatment ideas?

Alk is 9.5
Magi is 1370
Cal is 380
Ph 8.1-8.3
As requested- will need pics under white lighting. Its bacterial- just need to identify what type

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue until I figured out I was dosing too much nopox. Definitely bacterial, It won't hurt anything. About the only thing you can do is stir it up with a turkey baster and let the filtration pull it out. It's gonna take awhile though. That's the safest way I know of without adding anything else in the mix that could feed it. I don't know what you're dosing but I would stop the microbacter dosing. That possibly could be feeding it and making it worse.

OP
OP
J

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never get any phosphate or nitrates to register. The algae always gets it before i get reading. I change filter every 3 days and i run carbon and gfo. Reef octopus 150 for skimmer.
The pink slime does sound like what i have read about the nitrate reactors when they start up. I do dose vinegar. That makes some sense. Antibiotic reduces my bacterial population a little and the carbon dosing gets tipped into overdrive.
I’ll get some shots in the morning! Thanks all!

OP
OP
J

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose vinegar once per day. I cut it off tonight. I will have to start the progression over once this slime settles down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you haven’t eaten recently. I think Lord Vego is in there. Why am i drippings viff goo? Help!!!

38AEF006-7151-4252-86B5-253D02D2ADCC.jpeg 98EAF6F2-CD8F-4EC3-8746-24845D2868F6.jpeg 6D6A1F13-B027-45BE-9797-80D1EB836347.jpeg 43C742FD-CC6C-48CE-96AC-5954D36E2F5C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped carbon dosing vinegar a few months back and it slowly died off. Seems i was overdoing it. On the downside i now have a pretty big gha outbreak. Im now on a mission to get my refugium on overdrive. If that doesn't work im building an algae scrubber! All over the ghostbusters reference. Why am i drippings wiff goo?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this in my sump as well. And I do DIY Nopox dosing. I've been dialing it back slowly. I do scoop this stuff out every once in a while when it gets too gross for me. I never see it in the sump.

I assume this is can be potential food for coral and copepods.

I do wish I knew for sure if there was any detriment to touching it with bare hands. :grimacing-face:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a browner variant from vodka dosing, so I suspect they're pretty closely related. Turning it down a bit does help, but you may see some benefit from dosing closer to the return, it may not build up as much in higher flow areas.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back