pink spots on turbo snail

  • Thread starter Thread starter getwicky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

getwicky

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2020
Messages
27
Reaction score
3
Location
IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I have a mexican turbo snail in the tank for about two years ... I noticed recently he's got a pink spot on him.
 
Untitled.jpg
 
Any idea what might be going on here? Thank you!
 
Hard to make out in the image, but I would think that’s coralline algae beginning to grow on his shell.
 
Algae tends to grow on the snail's shell. This is good for them as camouflage.

You lucked out the pink is coralline, which will block the other algae from growing in that spot and help spread it around.

This is why we don't get the pretty snails in the hobby, they always change color and toothbrushes don't get coralline off. Jeweled top snails would be popular even as a coldwater species just for their hermit crab shell potential if it weren't for this.
 
Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments, I appreciate the insight & I am glad to hear it's not something more serious!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new