Pink Stuff in HOB skimmer

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so this happened overnight.
I have a 40 gal tank that is currently fishless cycling. I had been cycling for about 3 weeks, but I had to mostly empty my tank due to really high nitrates and the tank was not level (rookie mistakes). It has restarted the cycle about a week ago.
There's no noticable algae or cyanobacteria, or anything yet. I didn't use live rock.
My parameters (as of a week ago) are:
Ammonia: 1.2 ppm
Nitrite: .05 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 8 dkh
Ca: 400
Mg: 1330
Salinity: 1.026
Water temp is 82 while it cycles.

The only thing I've added was ammonia to start the cycle and bacteria. My best guess is I have an overgrowth of a pink bacteria.

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_142836664.TS.mp4
    19.7 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Any new leads on the mystery nem?
Not yet. Like I said, I've found a few that are similar on 1 or 2 out of 3 points. I think I'm going to have methodically sort through the Metridioidea superfamily to try and track it down, and there's a decent chance that they may be bleached specimens.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. Like I said, I've found a few that are similar on 1 or 2 out of 3 points. I think I'm going to have methodically sort through the Metridioidea superfamily to try and track it down, and there's a decent chance that they may be bleached specimens.
Good luck! I'll try and help out!

While I would usually avoid Wikipedia for this sort of thing, I did find a list of all the families in Metridioidea, though I'm pretty sure you already have a list

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway found another lookalike, probably not what they have but nemanthus nitidus looks similar, unfortunately its a gorgonian wrapper species so it's unlikely that that's what they have

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another unlikely candidate. Hermit crab nems seem to resemble what they have. Though the genus calliactis usually is found on the shell of hermit crabs. Any possibility that that's what it can be?

OP
OP
C

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so this happened overnight.
I have a 40 gal tank that is currently fishless cycling. I had been cycling for about 3 weeks, but I had to mostly empty my tank due to really high nitrates and the tank was not level (rookie mistakes). It has restarted the cycle about a week ago.
There's no noticable algae or cyanobacteria, or anything yet. I didn't use live rock.
My parameters (as of a week ago) are:
Ammonia: 1.2 ppm
Nitrite: .05 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 8 dkh
Ca: 400
Mg: 1330
Salinity: 1.026
Water temp is 82 while it cycles.

The only thing I've added was ammonia to start the cycle and bacteria. My best guess is I have an overgrowth of a pink bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back