Pipe fish questions

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to build a system around pipefish and have never kept them before. Are there any spieces that are easier than others?
Also are they as sensitive temperatures as seahorses and need a chiller?

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but following along. Thinking of adding a few to my seahorse tank. I like the blue stripe (Doryrhamphus excisus). Can be kept at normal temperature for H. Erectus any how. Trusted LFS gets them often and have seen them eat mysis. I keep my ponies at 75F. So no chiller needed.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now Blue Stripes, Janns, striped pipefish. Have also had gulf, alligator, and dragon face pipefish in the past. First I would try to get captive bred first. Not only better ecologically, but more captive ready. TBH outside of Blue Stripes and Jann’s or a conditioned specimen, you will need a special intensive feeding program for long term success. Growing pods or baby brine. Thus I only have blue stripes and Jann’s right now, the striped I have was captive bred so will also eat mysis, although more clumsily. Also do not put 2 males blue stripes together or a male blue stripe and a male Jann’s together, will fight to the death if u would let them. Happy to answer any questions u have.

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to build a 33 gallon long display refugium and was thinking pipe fish would be a fun addition. Anyone know of a place that sells captive bred?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue stripes, Janss and striped. The only type that I see out in the open is the striped. The blue stripes and Janss are out when the lights are off. Days may go by and I won't see them. I have never seen the blue stripes eat and I have had them for about a year. They have to be eating pods. The Janss is captive bred and eat brine shrimp and small mysis. They grab food then duck back into the rocks.

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue stripes, Janss and striped. The only type that I see out in the open is the striped. The blue stripes and Janss are out when the lights are off. Days may go by and I won't see them. I have never seen the blue stripes eat and I have had them for about a year. They have to be eating pods. The Janss is captive bred and eat brine shrimp and small mysis. They grab food then duck back into the rocks.
how big is your tank?

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly agree with Dennis. Blue stripes and Jann’s both will spend time in the rock work. My Jann’s is captive, my 3 blue stripes are all wild caught and in a 25 / 65 / 125. They all also eat mysis as well as pods. See the one in the 25 all the time as it is a very open scrape. Paring that male with a female tomorrow.

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly agree with Dennis. Blue stripes and Jann’s both will spend time in the rock work. My Jann’s is captive, my 3 blue stripes are all wild caught and in a 25 / 65 / 125. They all also eat mysis as well as pods. See the one in the 25 all the time as it is a very open scrape. Paring that male with a female tomorrow.
try to post some pictures I'd love to see your setup.
Also, how to sex pipe fish?

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue stripe in my 75 gallon reef and I've had him for 8 months I believe. He's a cool little fish and I see him once or twice a day. They're cleaners and mine will sometimes setup a little cleaning station underneath rocky overhangs. I seem to see him the most when the lights ramp up and down.

I've seen mine eat frozen before but I think he mostly lives off pods now. When I had less live rock, I saw him a lot more often and he ate a lot more frozen. I've witnessed him eating frozen mysis, live and frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen copepods, frozen cyclopes and LRS fish eggs. Before I got him, he lived in a 35 cube.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back