Pipefish Not eating and my steps to help fix it.

CoralsComeInMoreColors

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2022
Messages
234
Reaction score
57
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a mated pair of alligator pipefish for the 120g because I hear that the pipefish are good for acro pests, (currently I dont have anything besides a couple of vermetids here and there, but I do get maricultured and wild frags from my lfs so I thought it would be better to have more utlility fish, and I really enjoy pipefish.) I got lower areas of flow in the tank, but the pipefish just seems to camp on top of my wavemaker, it rarely ever lets go of the wavemaker wire with its tail. the other pipefish would wonder the tank, and I did see it pick at the rocks, but died literally the day after I saw this behavior. Due to this, I decided to move the other pipefish to the sump, where I keep a ton of liverock, and the area has tons of pods, along with mysid shrimp for it to nibble on. My biggest issue is that this pipefish is roughly 8 inches from tail to snout, and my sump refugium is roughly the size of a 10 gallon tank. (but plenty of airation, and slow but steady water movement.)

I would still like to keep the remaining pipefish in the 120, which is heavily populated with acros, torches, zoas, and leathers. I know these may not be the right kind of pipefish for the tank, but wanted to get everyone elses opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
 
What type of food do you feed? How do you feed? (broadcast feed, turn the pumps off, etc....?). none of the pipefish are eating?
 
What type of food do you feed? How do you feed? (broadcast feed, turn the pumps off, etc....?). none of the pipefish are eating?
I feed a mix of mysis, pellets, and nori, the mysis and pellets are broadcast.

I tried turning off pumps for thosse and just squirting it infront of the pipeifsh face, it ignores it completely. I got some live brine shrimp and did the same, same effect. However, in the sump I noticed it roaming and picking at the rocks, so i assume its eating in the sump. any advice to re-introduce back into the display? ( display has enough flow to keep the acros super happy.)
 

Have you tried live baby brine shrimp? I often use that to get pipefish and seahorses "over the hump" in terms of getting them to eat *something* until they hopefully switch over to something else.
 
I recently got a mated pair of alligator pipefish for the 120g because I hear that the pipefish are good for acro pests, (currently I dont have anything besides a couple of vermetids here and there, but I do get maricultured and wild frags from my lfs so I thought it would be better to have more utlility fish, and I really enjoy pipefish.) I got lower areas of flow in the tank, but the pipefish just seems to camp on top of my wavemaker, it rarely ever lets go of the wavemaker wire with its tail. the other pipefish would wonder the tank, and I did see it pick at the rocks, but died literally the day after I saw this behavior. Due to this, I decided to move the other pipefish to the sump, where I keep a ton of liverock, and the area has tons of pods, along with mysid shrimp for it to nibble on. My biggest issue is that this pipefish is roughly 8 inches from tail to snout, and my sump refugium is roughly the size of a 10 gallon tank. (but plenty of airation, and slow but steady water movement.)

I would still like to keep the remaining pipefish in the 120, which is heavily populated with acros, torches, zoas, and leathers. I know these may not be the right kind of pipefish for the tank, but wanted to get everyone elses opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure the pipefish wasn't getting sucked into the wavemaker? Unlike the flagtails, alligator pipes are not the best swimmers. Sounds like it couldn't escape the wavemaker.

I'm guessing the flow in your tank is too high for this species so if the sump is too small, I'd consider rehoming it.

For now while it's in the sump, I'd try feeding it freshly hatched artemia. I'd be surprised if it didn't go after them, unless it's sick or still stressed.
 
Are you sure the pipefish wasn't getting sucked into the wavemaker? Unlike the flagtails, alligator pipes are not the best swimmers. Sounds like it couldn't escape the wavemaker.

I'm guessing the flow in your tank is too high for this species so if the sump is too small, I'd consider rehoming it.

For now while it's in the sump, I'd try feeding it freshly hatched artemia. I'd be surprised if it didn't go after them, unless it's sick or still stressed.
you were right i rehomed the second one. however, I still want pipefish in a sps dominated tnak, got any suggestions or should i just steer clear?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new